Search the forum,

Discuss Best sealant in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

surflaur

Siliconing, I hate it!

At the moment I am using the stuff from Trade tiler and spit to smooth it, it's okay but i'm sure theres better and was just wondering what the best is to use? At a reasonable price of course.

Also does anyone use the tools available to smooth it or just spit like me?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Don't use spit. Silicone is cancerous. Dab your finger in water from a cup or something. The BAL silicones are good but pricey as you can imagine.

I never used a tool to smooth it. For any really fancy internal corners you can use a bit of masking tape 3mm from the exact corner point on both walls (or objects) and then silicone down it with a quick run, dab your finger and then smooth over in a quick motion and then strip the tape off pretty soon after, while it's still wet. This gives you a really clean finish.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
LOL

I'm not too sure if it's all as bad as the other sort of thing but I do know the COSHH data sheets for nearly every tube sates clearly that you must not consume it. lol

C

Concept PHT

Masking tape, small hole on the nozzle, wet finger with a big peice of bog roll to wipe it with.

And your away :)

L

Leatherface

You are all well off the mark with your advice -
use a very diluted soultion of green fairy liquid in a spray bottle - silicone as usual - spray with solution - wipe off with finger onto a cloth. Keep spraying as you wipe.
Silicone does not stick to your fingers or anywhere else it shouldn't,

C

Concept PHT

I know it does, but cheers for the sharp response.

So does a wet finger with masking tape.

<chill pill>

L

Leatherface

Cheers - don't worry I am always chilled.
:shades_smile:
Still prefer spray bottle method.

Reply to Best sealant in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen