Currently reading:
Best sealant

Search the forum,

Discuss Best sealant in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Don't use spit. Silicone is cancerous. Dab your finger in water from a cup or something. The BAL silicones are good but pricey as you can imagine.

I never used a tool to smooth it. For any really fancy internal corners you can use a bit of masking tape 3mm from the exact corner point on both walls (or objects) and then silicone down it with a quick run, dab your finger and then smooth over in a quick motion and then strip the tape off pretty soon after, while it's still wet. This gives you a really clean finish.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
You are all well off the mark with your advice -
use a very diluted soultion of green fairy liquid in a spray bottle - silicone as usual - spray with solution - wipe off with finger onto a cloth. Keep spraying as you wipe.
Silicone does not stick to your fingers or anywhere else it shouldn't,

I've heard this too, but I generally managed with just a mug of water in most cases, and any fancy bit I used tape.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Worth it if you're not comfy using just your finger. Nothing worse than a silicone mes at the end of your job! Damn horrible stuff when it's everywhere! Tissue stuck to your fingers and tiles, rags covered in it, sponges just fall to bits when you wipe it, etc etc etc. So yeah, 'till you know you're A1 with it, it's safer to use tape maybe. lol (just thinking of some of the mess I've been in with it in my early days, wow, how did I manage it?)

Reply to Best sealant in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid down several years ago by a previous owner, and it looks like it was also polished and sealed -...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.