Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss best and worst tools bought in 2012 in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

Spud

At this tims of year I start thinking about my plans for next year and look back on the good and bad bits of the last 12 months
Some of the tools I bought this year have worked out to be great and some not so good and are hardly used
1.7inch grinder cup wheel and a bosch 9inch dust collection cowel for grinding out high spots in floors ,this was an excellent buy but was let down by the fact I didnt buy the correct vacuum dust collector but if you are thinking of investing in a good surface prep tool they do work very well and very quickly :thumbsup:
2.wickes wet and dry 1400w vacumm was very good value and works well for domestic use but didnt have the capacity for use with the concrete plane:thumbsdown:
3.rubi Nd 200 wet cutter 110v bought from gumtree with a new transformer for £80 another great buy and a very handy machine would i pay £400 plus for a brand new one probably not but I do use this handy little wet cutter nearly every day now :thumbsup:
4.refina 2m and 2,5m aluminium box straight edges on Jonny C recommendation were probably one of my best purchases this year they have really come in handy:thumbsup:
5.Henry hoover after buying the wickes hoover and being disappointed I was given a used Henry F.O.C which is a great little hoover perfect for domestic use but still wasnt what I needed for the concrete plane:thumbsup:
6. Stanley fatmax xl 1200mm level ,great buy and no argument just as good if not better than stabila :thumbsup:
7.rubi 10mm 45degree notched trowel ,used twice notches broken off :thumbsdown:
8.schneegans wobble notch trowel good coverage well made stainless steel trowel pricey from Diatech but good quality :thumbsup:
9.porcelain blades from Apex Grange fitted on the my wet saws and 41/2 grinders good value great cutting :thumbsup: will be rebuying when worn out
10. Last big purchase of the year was a Bosch Gas 50 vacuum cleaner which is a big piece of kit but should mean dust free grinding and polishing next year I havent used it enough to give it a rating
11.tile mate pro levelling wedges :thumbsdown:

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Bubblecraft

Best tool has to be my Paslode IM90i. I upgraded from the IM350 & love it.

Worst tool I bought this year had to be a Ryobi detail sander. Busted after half an hour sanding

D

DHTiling

Worst tool was 2 grinder wheels that shattered on me..

best tool.. got to be the 3EK.. or the hilti laser pd4 measure..

Reaction score
best tool i bought in 2012 was this [video=youtube;yH4gE9XVM5M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH4gE9XVM5M[/video] plus 2 batteries blades & bag, oh and had a third batterie for xmas, happy days !!!

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
My Dewalt laser level has been the best buy.

Worst was 3mm drill bit that snapped on the first hole on a shower screen :incazzato:

W

White Room

I'm usually careful nowadays when buying tools because some of the rubbish I've bought over the years is no good to man or beast.

Probably the best tool this year though was a Sigma 3DM 900mm cutter, probably the worst was a second hand but hardly used Rebel Roto zip, one of the first models and blew up on me after 6 months...e-bay buy.

S

Spud

I am a bit of tool hoarder and will have a clear out next year as there are tools in my garage that have been gathering dust and if they are not paying for themselves they should be sold to someone who will appreciate them

I

Ian

Best are, Karl Dahm wash boy, no idea why I didn't buy one years ago and the montolit ck850 115mm blade, supreme quality and has lasted a full 12 months. Worst is the vitrex grout removal tool, only £20 but utterly useless.

beanz

TF
Reaction score
Best tool this year is probably my hitachi 18V impact driver. Time will tell on battery life, but performance so far equals an 18V makita, and blows a way the 18V dewalt (recent model anyway.. I used an older dewalt that was as good as a makita).. Great value for money all round.
Worst tool of the year... Has to be the Rubi ND180BL. Terrible quality, poor design, and waaaay over priced!

K

kaharrison9

Best buy and i was sceptical if possible they could be of any real use is the PLS FT90 floor laser.

I took a punt on it with only been able to research it on the net and not able to see one in action.

Very powerful laser and also a true crossed line laser with 4 beams rather than the 2 laser beam 90 degrees others tend to be.

Possibly worst buy though not so much the product more me was a £400 tablet to mainly show customers my work,prepping,bullnose,etc.

Just not had time to get it up and running and go back to earlier jobs and photo completed bathrooms.

B

Bubblecraft

Best buy and i was sceptical if possible they could be of any real use is the PLS FT90 floor laser.

I took a punt on it with only been able to research it on the net and not able to see one in action.

Very powerful laser and also a true crossed line laser with 4 beams rather than the 2 laser beam 90 degrees others tend to be.

Possibly worst buy though not so much the product more me was a £400 tablet to mainly show customers my work,prepping,bullnose,etc.

Just not had time to get it up and running and go back to earlier jobs and photo completed bathrooms.

What tablet did you get cause you could probably use it for so much more than a portfolio

K

kaharrison9

motorola xoom.
Sure there is many other uses pal.
I find during the day i do not get chance to use it.
I prefer to send pictures,invoices,quotes,etc from the home laptop.
Can see me passing it on to my little daughter soon.

A

AMtek

Stabila lax50 - excellent
Makita bga 452 18v grinder - excellent
Makita bhp452 drill driver - excellent
Makita bss611 circular saw - excellent
Bosch pst550 jigsaw - excellent
Stanley TRE550 pin gun - average
Vitres 10 3450 bridge saw - very good
Transit SWB semi-high top - Possibly the best thing i have ever bought
Worx SDS drill (bought from argos because i didn't have mine with me) - Pretty poor

Don't think i've invested in anything that turned out to be a lemon (apart from a member of staff)

area tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Best tools I bought this year are Stanley fatmax extreme 1.8 and .6 levels truly are great levels and I've used stabila all my days! And My Makita cordless lithium screwdriver ! Evolution paddle mixer!

Worst tools were addax grinding wheel , and my Makita cordless grinder ! Ptx diamond drill bits

Reply to best and worst tools bought in 2012 in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks