Discuss bath too short: filling and tiling the gap in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

rsk

TF
Reaction score
I've seen various bodge solutions to this but am interested in how a professional would approach it. I am fitting a bath 90mm too short for the space its going into. I'm looking at boxing out and tiling the gap somehow but i want to do it properly so that water drains into the bath, even after some movement, and also so it looks good. Horizontal tiles flush with the bath lip don't seem a good idea to me: i think they need to overlap the lip and not be level so they drain. This must be a common issue??

T

Time's Ran Out

ABC2E0CC-485C-4330-8367-E6DC2B56E787.jpeg

O

On one

Too late now,but could you not have got a bath 100mm longer than the the bath you have......and let the bath into the wall

OP
R

rsk

TF
Reaction score
i like the partial stud structures: creative solutions although a bit more work than i was hoping to do. I was thinking something like attached. Little ledge, maybe sloped to shed water but not sure how good it would look

boxing in.jpg

W

Waluigi

May I ask why the tiles need to slope?

I tend to go under the top lip of the Bath and then silicone against the side of the bath edge.

Usually the other end of the bath is where you would have a shower, if at all.

Your pic would work fine but I would clad the timber in a tile backer hoard.

OP
R

rsk

TF
Reaction score
May I ask why the tiles need to slope?

I tend to go under the top lip of the Bath and then silicone against the side of the bath edge.

Usually the other end of the bath is where you would have a shower, if at all.

Your pic would work fine but I would clad the timber in a tile backer hoard.

was thinking its best to have water draining back into the bath hence not having tiles flush with top of bath lip but maybe i'm over thinking it

W

Waluigi

I’ve never found it necessary. Water would still spill over the edge if you’re expecting that much water. The important thing to work out is to decide how you finish the boxing in relation to the bath panel.

Reply to bath too short: filling and tiling the gap in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Replies you've not seen

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dazzer