Discuss Bad Tiling where do I stand? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

C

Charlotte8787

Hi all
Hoping for some opinions on how to handle an ongoing issue in having with my tiler
He came and quoted all great and straightforward. This was two months before.
I was very clear the plumber was coming on a Friday the tiling would need to take place over the weekend for the plumber to return Monday he happily agreed and off he went (quote inc removal of tiles, re tile and build a box round the pipes using tiles) Which he now can’t do he box it’s not in his expertise and wanted me to ask the plumber to provide the wood build it and fit it the cheek!!obviously I haven’t done that.
So 2weeks before the plumber is due to come out he still hadn’t been to remove tiles, I even removed the floor ones I have always had to chase him which at this point has been going on weeks trying to get dates etc. Finally comes a few evenings 2 hours at a time and finally finishes the tile removal the Thursday evening before bathroom is to be ripped out. The walls no longer having tiles need replastering which I arrange so the plumber gets moved a week back but I say to the tiler I still need the floor doing at the weekend he agrees.
Saturday comes he hadn’t turned up I text him at 12:30 and he said he wasn’t actually planning on coming but he will “now” come out later in the afternoon to lay the backer board but no tiles. So I’m p****d at this point at 3:30 still no show I’ve been waiting to go shop all day I literally leave and he texts me “15 mins” I reply ok I’m just in town won’t be long (it’s five minutes from me) I rush around the shop not getting half the stuff I need and start walking home to which I get a text “I’m outside...” so I can see him I walk past say hi give me two minutes to let the dog out and I will be with you. I go in open the back door securing stair gates as I go no more then a minute so he starts banging on the door “can I come in yet” I open the door and say sorry I did say I needed to sort my dog out. He spends 3hrs!! Putting down the backer board all the while huffing and puffing slamming around etc as he leaves he says to me “right I was trying to get you a better price on the boarding but after driving here there and everywhere I haven’t bothered” I say okay (The only place he needed to go for me was to collect the materials and mine to do any work , and I don’t know use google mate?) also to mention he only picked up some of the tiles I had to ask my dad to get the rest yesterday. He emphasised he will contact me when he can come out. Roll on Tuesday this week I get a txt 5:45 I reply okay see you then rush home paying for a taxi to make sure I’m back in time, don’t have time to walk dog he turns up at 6 which annoys me I could of at least taken my dog for a short walk. 2hrs later he’s laid 6 floor tiles (no cutting required so far) I think okay I don’t know how to tile but I’m sure that’s quite a long time. He leaves making no mention of when he is due back so yesterday I get my dad to take me and get the rest of tiles and materials he texts me at half 6 (we’ve be stuck in traffic so not even close to home) “I’ve been outside since 6:05.... and your not in. Will you be in tomorrow” I reply I didn’t realise you were coming I’m stuck in traffic yes I will be in tomorrow to which the cheeky **** replies again telling me “ i told you as I left same time tomorrow” now believe me after doing nothing by chasing and actually having a mini meltdown that because of his delays the bathroom won’t be ready for the plumber next week if you said you were coming I would of heared it. I take the high road and don’t bite back and again why wait 15-20 minutes to text me ring me or text me when you didn’t get an answer.
So today he turns up 6pm again after saying 5:45 again he’s here two hrs and this time he’s used a whole pack of 6 tiles to cut up and fit in the smaller spaces (I will attach pics) as he’s leaving he says to me did you collect the blade I say no you did (I had to buy this blade for the tiles I wanted is that normal?) he goes oh yeah. Then informs me he won’t be back until Tuesday he’s busy until then he’s not even finished the floor not started the walls I haven’t got taps because he didn’t want to work around them and then when he leaves I go look at what’s been done I have 3 chipped tiles 1 with two black marks that won’t come off and some very questionable lining. Not being an expert I would say the most it would of taken is 4 tiles he’s used 6 so he’s either broken some or taken them which to be honest wouldn’t surprise me

Sorry this is such a long story but I’m just so upset it’s taken me nearly two years to save for my bathroom to be redone

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Dumbo

To be honest i dont how you finished this as i bored reading but i think the warning signs are there dont bother with him .

C

Charlotte8787

.... and how much have you paid him so far?
Nothing so far he quoted a straight price, I’m just worried how much I will have to pay him for work he’s done and then to find someone new as it’s needs fixing and finishing

419361F3-9F28-4898-8622-2BEA85BDC090.jpeg AF67EF21-9166-43BB-A5EB-9D8A1AACD712.jpeg A3B110EC-2D71-467E-8538-E594962E5664.jpeg BCF17426-80D2-472F-86EA-2F7CAEAE2C69.jpeg C4CE9F7C-85EC-4973-B0E3-BAAD6DAA8D81.jpeg 73B17167-388E-4FC3-BACD-9AC878CF2668.jpeg 3750391C-2FF7-40AD-85FA-0926C6218D25.jpeg FDE9E7D2-D687-4529-846E-FEA65B9BC300.jpeg

C

Charlotte8787

Those chips are under the bath/panel so ok.
Can only see 1 screw in Hardi board.
Walls look a bit of a state!
Yep they are and plasterer is coming next week. I’m mortified by the state of them this is what was left after old suite was pulled out

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Very few plumbers can tile to a high standard but there are a few on this forum (they know who they are) who do the whole lot themselves, no faffing around with different trades, just one guy, he plans, plumbs, tiles and does all the joinery (maybe not electrics) and this is the way to go about it in future if you can find them as they are hard to find. I myself do everything in bathrooms and its far less of a head ache for the homeowner.

Your tiler is an idiot.

O

Old Mod

To be honest i dont how you finished this as i bored reading but i think the warning signs are there dont bother with him .

Well if you were that bored Jerry, why go to the trouble of replying, if it doesn’t interest you, move on.
This is a place for advice, not abuse, your comment was unnecessarily disrespectful.

Are you glad to get that off your chest?

You’re supposed to be a Trusted Advisor Andrew, it’s considered a privilege, not a ‘right’, if you have nothing constructive to say, keep your thoughts to yourself.

The OP is clearly in distress and is looking for reassurance and guidance, I’m sure Charlotte is getting all the unhelpful comments she needs from the person carrying out the tiling.
We do not need to add to them!

C

Charlotte8787

Well if you were that bored Jerry, why go to the trouble of replying, if it doesn’t interest you, move on.
This is a place for advice, not abuse, your comment was unnecessarily disrespectful.

thank you! I was aware it was a very long post but just feel so frustrated

You’re supposed to be a Trusted Advisor Andrew, it’s considered a privilege, not a ‘right’, if you have nothing constructive to say, keep your thoughts to yourself.

The OP is clearly in distress and is looking for reassurance and guidance, I’m sure Charlotte is getting all the unhelpful comments she needs from the person carrying out the tiling.

Thank you for your kind response. I was aware it was a very long post I’m just so frustrated and really don’t know where I stand.
I need to get someone else in but need to pay for what’s been done and having no experience with this sort of thing I don’t know what’s fair to pay him but without me having to save for a few more months before it can be rectified by paying someone else.

B

Blunt Tool

There is nothing there that can’t be rescued, if you have lost faith in your tiler which by the way he has conducted himself so far you have every right to then maybe time to get another tiler in

D

Dumbo

Sorry if my response was disrespectfull . But i still feel my advice was sound . If that guy was working for me i would of stopped using him a long way back into the project .

C

Charlotte8787

The chipped tiles will be hidden under bath and boxing :)
Thank you, I think I’m just like please don’t let me end up with chipped tiles that I can see. I will give it at least 30 years before even thinking of having a new bathroom again ha

Reply to Bad Tiling where do I stand? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks