Search the forum,

Discuss backer boards in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Mel

Hi, I'm new to the forum and this is my first posting.
I am about to tile my kitchen which has a chipboard floor. Am I right in thinking i need to lay backer boards down first before laying tiles. If so, is 6mm a satisfactory depth of board to buy. Would tile cement be the way to secure them to the chipboard. None of the DIY stores appear to offer these backer boards, which leave me questioning whether they are needed. Any advice welcome

T

Time's Ran Out

:welcome: Mel. Before you buy any materials, first establish the construction of the floor. Check that the chipboard flooring is nailed to joists, what size are they and at what centres. Make sure you have no deflection and over what is the total area you are planning to fix tiles for weights. These items will ascertain how much strengthening of the floor will be required in preparation.

M

Mel

Hi John
The kitchen is just about a square at 10sq metres area. House is approx 28 yrs old so flooring is the original one laid by the builders. Chipboard is 22mm thick. Joists are 450mm apart.

M

Mel

Thanks Kilty
Any preference as to screw it down or use tile cement, or does it not make a difference?

Reply to backer boards in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi all. As title suggests. Used to use this forum a while back but seems my account was deleted...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen