Search the forum,

Discuss any seal product to cover large gap between tiles and shower tray?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Don't touch seals - they leak like a sieve in the corners!

beanz

TF
Reaction score
Surely if you get plenty of silicone behind them, then silicone the outside too, they should be fine. Admittedly, when i used the window trim i had tanked behind it, then siliconed behind and on top. Looked great! Wish i'd taken a photo now... :oops:

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I've fixed 6 leaks in bathrooms with this stuff on, takes ages to get off as loads of silicone behind and on top.
3 were seals made for ontop of tile, 3 were made to go behind tile.
All leaking like good ones in the corners - don't touch the stuff - plus they go mouldy and discoloured real quick.

beanz

TF
Reaction score
I've fixed 6 leaks in bathrooms with this stuff on, takes ages to get off as loads of silicone behind and on top.
All leaking like good ones in the corners - don't touch the stuff - plus they go mouldy and discoloured real quick.

Interesting to hear. :thumbsup:

aflemi

TF
Arms
Reaction score
What would you recommend Macten? I had been starting to like the sound of the 'window trim' with tanking behind and siliconed top and bottom. Corner obviously a potential problem area, but I think if it's monitered and any failure rectified quickly then it could be the best bet. Can't raise shower tray as its a quadrant so impossible to fill the curved gap which would be left.

ps can't risk removing tiles as no spares.

beanz

TF
Reaction score
What would you recommend Macten? I had been starting to like the sound of the 'window trim' with tanking behind and siliconed top and bottom. Corner obviously a potential problem area, but I think if it's monitered and any failure rectified quickly then it could be the best bet. Can't raise shower tray as its a quadrant so impossible to fill the curved gap which would be left.

Make sure you silicone behind the trim (If you end up going down this route), as well as top and bottom, if only to hold the trim in place. ;)

C

CON5933

I understand what you mean Mac, but i've never had a problem with them.:thumbsup:as long as they are sealed properly and the substrate is protected..
as far as discolouring goes....oh ok then:smilewinkgrin:

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score

Well if you can't raise tray or replace better fitting tiles then I guess you will have to go this route.
Get you're internal mitres absolutely spot on and use LOADS of silicone and don't use shower for 48 hrs.

T

Time's Ran Out

I thought my option in post 4 was a possibility!
What colour are the wall tiles in the shower - Gulf Stone is normally black - so any trim/window seal will stand out a bit!
Another option is a Cristal bath trim set of moulded quadrants - they use to make them in all colours inc black, but you might only get white these days:thumbsup:

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Sorry Timeless - genius idea if he has spare tiles for skirting :thumbsup:

Reply to any seal product to cover large gap between tiles and shower tray?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Poll
Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen