Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss any seal product to cover large gap between tiles and shower tray?? in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Called back by customer whose Gulf Stone floor tiles I rescued and relaid earlier this year ( were dot'n'dabbed on 6mm hardboard !!!!!!!! ). The bathroom 'fitter' has left a 10mm gap between tile and shower tray which has been carefully GROUTED. Unsuprisingly, this has started to crack and is leaking below. Does anyone know of a product which could seal this large gap? I thought Schluter did something but can't see it on their website. I remember seeing something like the old 'L' profile bath seal but more flexible......

T

Time's Ran Out

I'am reading this as - aflemi has relaid the floor - but the same tile has been used in the shower (by others) and there is a 10mm gap from the bottom tile to the shower tray.
I'd cut an upstand of about 50mm high from the Gulf stone tiles,round the top, and silicone seal them onto the front of the existing tiles to cover the gap and form a skirting effect/seal in the shower.:thumbsup:

beanz

TF
Reaction score
If it is the walls in the shower, you might be able to make up the gap with window trim (not sure of the exact name, but you get it from window manufacturers and is very cheap). I don't know if it comes in different sizes, the one i got from a mate was slightly smaller that 10mm, but you might be able to get larger (not sure). Leaves a really nice finish though. :thumbsup:

OP
aflemi

aflemi

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Beanz, you are correct it is the the tiles in the shower cubicle walls. Apologies for the non-essential info re floor! I think I know what you mean re window trim, but I was really searching for something more specific to the tile/tray situation. If anyone knows of a product designed for this purpose I would be grateful....:smilewinkgrin:

C

CON5933

Hi Aflemi, can you pop the bottom row of tiles off at all..(any spares?) and fit a bath/shower trim? then refit, this would take up the 10mm and seal at the same time...

C

CON5933

if no spares available, suggest a different tile around the bottom and make it a border feature??

C

CON5933

similar 'retro' fit of seal...
Untitled-1copy.jpg

Untitled-2copy.jpg

Untitled-4copy.jpg

PICT0099.jpg

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Don't touch seals - they leak like a sieve in the corners!

beanz

TF
Reaction score
Surely if you get plenty of silicone behind them, then silicone the outside too, they should be fine. Admittedly, when i used the window trim i had tanked behind it, then siliconed behind and on top. Looked great! Wish i'd taken a photo now... :oops:

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I've fixed 6 leaks in bathrooms with this stuff on, takes ages to get off as loads of silicone behind and on top.
3 were seals made for ontop of tile, 3 were made to go behind tile.
All leaking like good ones in the corners - don't touch the stuff - plus they go mouldy and discoloured real quick.

beanz

TF
Reaction score
I've fixed 6 leaks in bathrooms with this stuff on, takes ages to get off as loads of silicone behind and on top.
All leaking like good ones in the corners - don't touch the stuff - plus they go mouldy and discoloured real quick.

Interesting to hear. :thumbsup:

OP
aflemi

aflemi

TF
Arms
Reaction score
What would you recommend Macten? I had been starting to like the sound of the 'window trim' with tanking behind and siliconed top and bottom. Corner obviously a potential problem area, but I think if it's monitered and any failure rectified quickly then it could be the best bet. Can't raise shower tray as its a quadrant so impossible to fill the curved gap which would be left.

ps can't risk removing tiles as no spares.

Reply to any seal product to cover large gap between tiles and shower tray?? in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock