Search the forum,

Discuss Anhydrite adhesive test. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

bugs183

Quite right Jonny.
But I think it goes further than that:
New tilers are now presented with a blistering choice of Manufacturers, Adhesives and Substrates etc. They are used to the huge array of situations that now occur.

When i started (which was in 1985 labouring for dad, then tiled professionally in 1991), we had very few of the the problems we had now as there was little adhesive choice and the substrates were render, cement screed, plaster and plasterboard for 99.99% of the jobs.
You knew that Bal Grip (green writing, ammonia, awful with a hangover) stuck to everything and couldn't be removed off shower bases or baths after a couple of hours. Bal Wall was the only other wall tile adhesive you needed.
Bal Gold Star was lovely to use, the New Rapid set (wow three hours!) stuck, and for mega jobs Bal Flex (yuk, but it stuck).
Nothing needed to be primed, sanded, moisture tested etc etc..

Everything stuck to everything else!!!!

Now with underfloor heating, porcelain, anhydrite blah blah, you feel you need to be blessed by god for anything to actually work.
We have had it straight forward and now things have become so complicated and advanced that we are at a loss to understand why.

Maybe we are being Ludites, but i don't believe this at all, as all the above are here trying to grapple with this problem, i know my mate who's been atiler for 4 years will just look at me blankly if i mention anhydrite, he must have tiled loads by now....

As you say it's because we do care and tiling has got under our skin and we look at everything a little differently, especially all these new systems like Polypipes dreadful u/f/h system with it's reps quoting utter rubbish at us!!

G

Gazzer

What winds me up is this " they use it abroad for years and dont have these problems"...yeah but In other countries drying times may be less due to climate or their standards differ as in the screeder sands the floor after about 2 weeks and tests the RH.
i just get a call months down the line and then I give them the info I know....Gypsum adhesive, sand floor and RH test....Blank looks all round then the cherry on the icing....."We were told it was faster this way !!"....yeah for the screeder it was faster !

So while I am moaning...I thought the screeds were super flat and smooth ! What a load of crock !...I saw better concrete floors during my time in Australia.
This latest floor resembles the surface of the moon...and you see all the dappling marks.

B

bugs183

The one i'm doing in Solihul is the same Sir.
The point where one room leads into another has been out on numerous places, you have to get all the cuts in first just to check how the levels are working.
As i said in my second post i saw tem pour Agilia Horizontal which is a cement based verison, it looked ace to me!

T

The D

The one i'm doing in Solihul is the same Sir.
The point where one room leads into another has been out on numerous places, you have to get all the cuts in first just to check how the levels are working.
As i said in my second post i saw tem pour Agilia Horizontal which is a cement based verison, it looked ace to me!
Hang on a cotton picking…. Solihull is my patch I’M NOT HAPPY :ban::lol:

Andrew

TF
Reaction score
I drive my wife mad with just how much tiling
Is under my skin. I just thought I would
Through this in the mix, why is it that gypsum
And cement seem to work harmoniously
In the world of plastering?

T

The D

i drive my wife mad with just how much tiling
is under my skin. I just thought i would
through this in the mix, why is it that gypsum
and cement seem to work harmoniously
in the world of plastering?

do they ??

D

DHTiling

:lol:... sorry had to laff then... gypsum and cement do not mix in any situation without priming/

Reply to Anhydrite adhesive test. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen