Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Adhesive thickness? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

TCMCC

Hi there,
Doing first paying job soon :hurray:, could someone advise me please, the tiles will be 300x600 ceramic for a wall. What would the correct thickness of adhesive be? Also the reccommended grout thickness?
Thanks!

B

brian c

for that size of tile it would be 10mm round notch trowel and rapidflex adhesive for me and 2mm grout lines.

D

DHTiling

you will need a cement based adhesive with that size tile and most will have a bed depth of about 6mm....this is the depth once the tile is bedded back to the wall......:)

P

Pawelzik

Agree with Brian, but would take 3 mm grout minimum. This was already discussed in former threads.

P

pt44

God I am so new

So I've been laying 600x300 porcelain on a wall this week. I'm presuming from this thread that I should have been using a 10mm square or round, giving me a 6mm bed. Just as well I've been using my 6mm square isn't it :'(

I do like to make life hard for myself. No wonder I have to actually lay FAR more than a 3mm bed - due to the size of tile causing havoc with any slight irregularities in the wall. I presume using a thicker bed (10mm square) would make this FAR easier, as there is some give in the bed? Or have I misunderstood something?

Paul

T

TCMCC

Hiya,

Thanks to all for their advice, all up, and secure.? lol

Just grouting to do next week.

I do hope I speed up tho! It was only about 8 sq mtrs of brick bond with two mosiac borders! Best part of two days!!

B

brian c

the speed will come with themore jobs you do.Dont worry about the speed as its the quality of work you should be concentrating on at these early stages.If you feel you need to ask any questions that you are unsure of ,then come on here and ask away thats what the forum is here for.A problem shared is a problem halfed:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bj F

If you are using cement based adhesive and you should be. Do not forget to prime the walls that is if the walls are gypsum as cement based products do not adhere to gypsum based products with out a primer.:thumbsup:

R

robbo

If you are using cement based adhesive and you should be. Do not forget to prime the walls that is if the walls are gypsum as cement based products do not adhere to gypsum based products with out a primer.:thumbsup:

They will initially adhere to each other but it is possible that you will get a reaction between the cement based addy and the plaster....

BAL Prime APD
prime_apd.jpg
A modified acrylic polymer dispersion for use as a primer for a variety of backgrounds/bases prior to fixing ceramic tiles, mosaics and natural stone and prior to the application of levelling compound and the BAL WP1 TANKING SYSTEM. BAL PRIME APD isolates products containing calcium sulphate such as gypsum plaster and anhydrite screeds from cement-based adhesives, thus minimising the risk of reaction between the two materials.

Also suitable for use on cement:sand rendering, blockwork, plasterboard, cement:sand screeds and timber. It also provides surface strength to friable surfaces and reduces the porosity of porous backgrounds/bases, thus preventing the formation of air bubbles and prolonging the flow time with levelling compounds and extending the open time of tile adhesives. The primer is blue in colour to help ensure that a complete and even coating is obtained.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Adhesive thickness? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks