Discuss Adhesive spread direction in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

P

paulphur

Laying 120 x 20 plank porcelain, should i spread in direction of length so in 120 cm direction or across tile so in 20 cm direction. Would the latter give better coverage?

R

Rookery

Apart from a restricted reach I don't think it matters though I do make an effort to comb out in the same direction.

GAZ5518

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
You say tomayta ... I say tomatoe...lol
If you back butter them ...They will bond irrespectively...

Q

Qwerty

You say tomayta ... I say tomatoe...lol
If you back butter them ...They will bond irrespectively...

But if you trowel adhesive on the floor length ways when laying long planks you run the risk of trapping air in the ribs of adhesive, potentially leading to reduced bed coverage and voids. Yes they will bond, but maybe not as much as if you trowelled the adhesive the other way.

GAZ5518

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Morning Plan Tec....
Excuse my naivety .. and I am always willing to take on advice... But .... Surely when a floor is serrated.. North to South.. East to West.....(Or the back of a Tile) ..Let's say with a 10mm square detail..The coverage will be 50%
When pushed/ Rubbed home .. The serrations collapse and theoretically should meet making a full bond..
I understand that when you say that serrations through the length of the tile may trap air ... But then surely that must be the case for every large format tile then, and I'm sure we don't lift every tile up to check otherwise..The next plank job I do , I will certainly put to the test though and come back with the evidence ... Be it damning or not..
Cheers:beercheers:

I

Italy

in my opinion,
now you are looking for the hairs in the egg.
we are talking about 120x20,
trapped air,
It remains a speech for large formats and that's it.
after all, I'm just an aprendist ....
and I NOT have no floor that is raised.
this is enough for me, I'm not interested in the direction of the adhesive.
(Again, I consider the answers above,
valid for large formats, example 100x50 and above)

GAZ5518

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
:)
in my opinion,
now you are looking for the hairs in the egg.
we are talking about 120x20,
trapped air,
It remains a speech for large formats and that's it.
after all, I'm just an aprendist ....
and I NOT have no floor that is raised.
this is enough for me, I'm not interested in the direction of the adhesive.
(Again, I consider the answers above,
valid for large formats, example 100x50 and above)
;):eek::)

Q

Qwerty

I was referring to the question in hand here..... planks. The best way to trowel the adhesive in this situation is across the width, not length as I stated.

It stands to reason with large format, anything square or even rectangular that it is virtually irrelevant, but with a plank it is different. It is no extra effort to trowel the shorter distance and you are likely to have a better bed coverage. I only see the positives with this method I'm afraid.

I

Italy

I agree geoff,
but a simple question,
he does not need answers from a pharmacist. :)
already it is complicated to lay plank,
enter and exit a room, work
in tight rooms, etc.
if I must also look at the direction of the adhesive .....
in large spaces, I can also do it.

GAZ5518

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Lol...."Likely".....
In the scheme of things I don't think it would be critical that you have to serrate against he grain to achieve a better more secure end product ... But I do enjoy debating it ... We digress..
"IMPO":)

Reply to Adhesive spread direction in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks