Discuss Adhesive spread direction in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Horizontal for walls...

IMG_20171217_085328.png

D

Dumbo

I was referring to the question in hand here..... planks. The best way to trowel the adhesive in this situation is across the width, not length as I stated.

It stands to reason with large format, anything square or even rectangular that it is virtually irrelevant, but with a plank it is different. It is no extra effort to trowel the shorter distance and you are likely to have a better bed coverage. I only see the positives with this method I'm afraid.
Splitting hairs I know but it would take longer to trowel several times across the width than trowelling along the length .

F

Flintstone

Splitting hairs I know but it would take longer to trowel several times across the width than trowelling along the length .

I don’t think anyone is struggling for 10 seconds !

Always short way and always one direction, it’s no more diffficult or time consuming really, so why wouldn’t you.

Q

Qwerty

Is it? I wouldn't know as I've never done it. To be honest I have always trowelled towards me on floors. Spreading right to left first to key it in to the surface first, then trowel towards me. Works for any substrate to fully fill voids in Ditra, key in properly to screeds etc

GAZ5518

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Ooooo.. Sunday morning has arrived and everyone is waking to a brand new day...
Pictures I found enclosed ...how would you deal with this scenario .... To drive you serrater officionados going..lol

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited:
Q

Qwerty

Ooooo.. Sunday morning has arrived and everyone is waking to a brand new day...
Picture I found enclosed ...how would you deal with this scenario .... To drive you serrater officionados going..lol

View attachment 95566

By trowelling towards me as I always do. It's not a plank tile is it? Wood effect yes, but not a plank.
I imagine everybody else will lay these as they would lay say 60x60 or 60x30 tiles, trowelling in whichever direction they normally do!
Why, would you lay each piece into adhesive trowelled along it's length? ;):rolleyes:

GAZ5518

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
They are examples of patterns that are achievable using "Plank tiles".. Which would make the serrations against the grain an interesting project!... Especially the herringbone...
And to answer your question .. I wouldn't be so anal..!!o_O
As long as I was happy with the the Tile ... Irrespective of its shape .. was stuck and adhered in the correct manner:)

Q

Qwerty

I think you have lost the point with this. If large plank tiles were laid in that fashion then I would still trowel across the width rather than the length, changing the direction of the trowelling when the pattern changed. With herringbone it would actually be trowelling at 45° angle across its width as opposed to 90°.

GAZ5518

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Can believe it .... The Blimmin "Serration Police" are a my door.... "You'll never take me alive".....lol
But seriously ... I get what you saying.. But really ... I was just pointing out that it won't make that much of a difference should someone go with the grain.... No lives lost..
Have a good day fella:thumbsup:

Reply to Adhesive spread direction in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks