Discuss Adhesive for heavy cement encaustic tiles in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Dazzer

-
Reaction score
Hi, I need an adhesive suitable for 20x20cm cement encaustic tiles on unskimmed plasterboard please, I found this mapei ultraflex lft recommended in several places but can’t source in uk, what is widely available that is like it ?
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1094.jpeg
    848.4 KB · Views: 19

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Run a search on the forum for mapei adhesive supplier. It'll show you local suppliers automatically. There are some online suppliers doing good prices at the moment.

How many square meters (or yards) of tiles do you have?

Thanks for posting. :)

Dazzer

-
Reaction score
The store where you bought the tiles from should sell the adhesive as well.
It doesn’t, we also live on a remote island so I need to order it in, but I don’t know the name of a similar adhesive and there’s no stockists of the specific Mapei adhesive I mentioned in the uk. Any suggestions of similar? Thanks for replying.

Dazzer

-
Reaction score
Run a search on the forum for mapei adhesive supplier. It'll show you local suppliers automatically. There are some online suppliers doing good prices at the moment.

How many square meters (or yards) of tiles do you have?

Thanks for posting. :)
Thanks Dan, I can get several different Mapei adhesives but I can’t source that particular one that’s recommended for my heavy tiles anywhere in the uk, perhaps it’s called something else here? Or I’m after a suggestion of something similar key words being ‘heavy tile mortar with polymer’ I guess?

We also live on a remote island so I need to order it in by boat!
Thanks for replying.

Attachments

• IMG_1345.jpeg
    486.2 KB · Views: 17

Dazzer

-
Reaction score
Thanks Dan, I can get several different Mapei adhesives but I can’t source that particular one that’s recommended for my heavy tiles anywhere in the uk, perhaps it’s called something else here? Or I’m after a suggestion of something similar key words being ‘heavy tile mortar with polymer’ I guess?

We also live on a remote island so I need to order it in by boat!
Thanks for replying.
Just a couple of rows of tiles but these bad boys are hefty!

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
You want a rapid set flexible then. Any. And make sure the subfloor is flat first. May need a flex self levelling compound.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Also maybe mix it thick-ish, just a half a cup less water. Small amounts at a time, even 2 tiles a time and get those spot on before mixing more. Doesn't really matter how heavy they are the suction should keep it steady.

Failing that use two thin wooden boards either side and trap the tiles and adhesive in place.

Dazzer

-
Reaction score
You want a rapid set flexible then. Any. And make sure the subfloor is flat first. May need a flex self levelling compound.
Thanks but like I said these are for on a wall of unskimmed plasterboard off a dado ledge, I use rapid set flexible all the time but was looking into something that’s particularly good with cement tiles, that Mapei lft mortar with polymer one kept coming up as the best but I can’t source it!

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
😆😆😆 sorry mate I got lost by the word heavy there.

You just need to hammer a couple of nails level under the first row to keep them there.

Fast setting stuff. Shouldn't need it thicker (as in stiffer, not adhesive depth). For walls at least.

Got a picture of where it's going? Is that built yet. Sorry if you've said it already.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

A good thread if I remember rightly. Forum was still a baby back then!

Dazzer

-
Reaction score
Also maybe mix it thick-ish, just a half a cup less water. Small amounts at a time, even 2 tiles a time and get those spot on before mixing more. Doesn't really matter how heavy they are the suction should keep it steady.

Failing that use two thin wooden boards either side and trap the tiles and adhesive in place.
Great advice Thankyou!

Reply to Adhesive for heavy cement encaustic tiles in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks