Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.
  • Thread starter garretridge
  • Start date
  • Replies 24
  • Views 346
  • usa

Discuss £7 sq mtr i dont think so! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

G

garretridge

just been out to price 22m2 bathroom 6m2 floor ceramic tiles give her price £500 with addy and grout thought that was resonable in todays market. she said sorry been quoted £200 i said well you will get what you pay for rubbish dont come to me when it all goes wrong some people must be desperate!:rant:

D

davy_G

Iye, same for me, just lost 100m2 of 600x600 rectified porcelain. Priced it at 15 a m2 and client got a quote for a tenner. Ah well, i hope it turns out OK for him.
I could still do it at a tenner, be done in 3-4 days and walk away with better pay than my dayrate, just dont see why I should!:prrr:

G

garretridge

davy im newer to this game than you but i still wont work for £200 quid a week i can stack shelfs for that in tescos let them have the work they will probably regret it!:yes:

F

Fekin

Iye, same for me, just lost 100m2 of 600x600 rectified porcelain. Priced it at 15 a m2 and client got a quote for a tenner. Ah well, i hope it turns out OK for him.
I could still do it at a tenner, be done in 3-4 days and walk away with better pay than my dayrate, just dont see why I should!:prrr:

Walk away from a job that would of still been better paying than your day rate :huh2:

B

brian c

surely she was trying it on,that price is less than half your price..ffs whats happening.

M

marc1106

surely she was trying it on,that price is less than half your price..ffs whats happening.

You know wots happening Bri, as soon as the news says Recession, joe public thinks that the building trades will all work for nothing, they just dont seem to realise that we go through it worse that the PAYE brigade who either loose their jobs or do a few more hours for the same pay! :rant:

D

davy_G

Walk away from a job that would of still been better paying than your day rate :huh2:

Yep, i could do that job in 4 days max and lift a grand. I would knock my pan in and i know what a pain it can be laying rectified 600's with no lips and 2mm gg's.
Im happy to let someone else knock their pan in and wonder why at a tenner.

F

Fekin

I guess if you are always pulling in that amount of money every week then it's no loss then not doing that job.

D

davy_G

I guess if you are always pulling in that amount of money every week then it's no loss then not doing that job.

If only. No i agree in principal i probably should have taken it, but i dont need the hassle as i know the client is really fussy (rightly so).

There are so many guys on here who wouldnt lower themselves to work for a tenner, and power to them, but the above example shows it can pay alot more than tiling a small bathroom for 25 a m2.

Me, i would work for a tenner, just not in this case for this client.

H

hillhead

There is a lot of undercutting about,it all depends on how bad your up for dosh!!! i sometimes when laying tiles work out how much each tile is worth,easy to keep track of how your progressing,lol.
I stood in a house 2 weeks ago,monday morning,i had already 125m2 of marble layed in it 2 months ago and they needed more marble down-
anyway the work was coming to £720,having had plenty out of them i gave them a real sweet price of £600,no they said we'll pay you £500 !!
No i said,get someone else then,my discount is generous enough! i walked.
He rang me that night begging me to come back,so i did at my price reluctantly. he paid me ok,more there at a later date too,interesting...

D

DHTiling

If only. No i agree in principal i probably should have taken it, but i dont need the hassle as i know the client is really fussy (rightly so).

There are so many guys on here who wouldnt lower themselves to work for a tenner, and power to them, but the above example shows it can pay alot more than tiling a small bathroom for 25 a m2.

Me, i would work for a tenner, just not in this case for this client.

And tilers have the neck to call foreign workers for under cutting a pro tilers rates....that is just silly pricing if you ask me.....

If fact i would say it is cut throat pricing.....100 mtrs in 4 days at a propper rate is even more pennies and well earned with 600 x 600's...

This is really pitiful to see IMO.......sorry to sound harsh but i'm glad you are not in the uk working for that rate...

D

davy_G

And tilers have the neck to call foreign workers for under cutting a pro tilers rates....that is just silly pricing if you ask me.....

If fact i would say it is cut throat pricing.....100 mtrs in 4 days at a propper rate is even more pennies and well earned with 600 x 600's...

This is really pitiful to see IMO.......sorry to sound harsh but i'm glad you are not in the uk working for that rate...

Dave, emm last time i looked I do like in the UK. So is Feckin wrong as well to think i should have took the job and walked away with decent wedge? A job is worth what it is worth. I have no problem with foreign workers, they do the jobs we wont for less cash, even if they are tilers. Good for them if we cant as a nation get off our asses and do it for ourselves. Too many people, and i dont mean tilers or tradesfolk think they are owed a living. £250 a day is not silly pricing in my opinion, i just didnt want the hassle of this job and as such didnt think a tenner a m2 was worth it. Im not slagging off they guy who is doing it, good luck to him. Over here rates are lowering pretty quick and its a case of decide where your bottom line is and go from there.

Dave, what would you do if you had no work for 3 months, behind on morgtage, credit card bills and overdraft. A job like the example above came in at a tenner a m2? As i said for me, id be on my knees tiling not on a soapbox berating the chap who is doing it.

We operate in a free market where supply and demand will on average dictate price.
Too many tilers, not enough work is the problem. Thats it for me, dont mean to offend but as i said before i will be working when others are not.

D

DHTiling

Davy you are entitled to charge as you see fit......but lets not glorify that it is acceptable to undercut what alot of tile fixers on here have worked very hard to achieve....A decent fixing rate....

You have only been fixing a year and i know it can be hard for new comers to the trade to make a go of things....But when you have been in the game a few years you will appreciate what tilers deserve to earn....

I will leave it at that...just my opinion as you have stated yours.....good luck for the future..

Reply to £7 sq mtr i dont think so! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks