Search the forum,

Discuss £7 sq mtr i dont think so! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

H

hillhead

There is a lot of undercutting about,it all depends on how bad your up for dosh!!! i sometimes when laying tiles work out how much each tile is worth,easy to keep track of how your progressing,lol.
I stood in a house 2 weeks ago,monday morning,i had already 125m2 of marble layed in it 2 months ago and they needed more marble down-
anyway the work was coming to £720,having had plenty out of them i gave them a real sweet price of £600,no they said we'll pay you £500 !!
No i said,get someone else then,my discount is generous enough! i walked.
He rang me that night begging me to come back,so i did at my price reluctantly. he paid me ok,more there at a later date too,interesting...

D

DHTiling

If only. No i agree in principal i probably should have taken it, but i dont need the hassle as i know the client is really fussy (rightly so).

There are so many guys on here who wouldnt lower themselves to work for a tenner, and power to them, but the above example shows it can pay alot more than tiling a small bathroom for 25 a m2.

Me, i would work for a tenner, just not in this case for this client.

And tilers have the neck to call foreign workers for under cutting a pro tilers rates....that is just silly pricing if you ask me.....

If fact i would say it is cut throat pricing.....100 mtrs in 4 days at a propper rate is even more pennies and well earned with 600 x 600's...

This is really pitiful to see IMO.......sorry to sound harsh but i'm glad you are not in the uk working for that rate...

D

davy_G

And tilers have the neck to call foreign workers for under cutting a pro tilers rates....that is just silly pricing if you ask me.....

If fact i would say it is cut throat pricing.....100 mtrs in 4 days at a propper rate is even more pennies and well earned with 600 x 600's...

This is really pitiful to see IMO.......sorry to sound harsh but i'm glad you are not in the uk working for that rate...

Dave, emm last time i looked I do like in the UK. So is Feckin wrong as well to think i should have took the job and walked away with decent wedge? A job is worth what it is worth. I have no problem with foreign workers, they do the jobs we wont for less cash, even if they are tilers. Good for them if we cant as a nation get off our asses and do it for ourselves. Too many people, and i dont mean tilers or tradesfolk think they are owed a living. £250 a day is not silly pricing in my opinion, i just didnt want the hassle of this job and as such didnt think a tenner a m2 was worth it. Im not slagging off they guy who is doing it, good luck to him. Over here rates are lowering pretty quick and its a case of decide where your bottom line is and go from there.

Dave, what would you do if you had no work for 3 months, behind on morgtage, credit card bills and overdraft. A job like the example above came in at a tenner a m2? As i said for me, id be on my knees tiling not on a soapbox berating the chap who is doing it.

We operate in a free market where supply and demand will on average dictate price.
Too many tilers, not enough work is the problem. Thats it for me, dont mean to offend but as i said before i will be working when others are not.

D

DHTiling

Davy you are entitled to charge as you see fit......but lets not glorify that it is acceptable to undercut what alot of tile fixers on here have worked very hard to achieve....A decent fixing rate....

You have only been fixing a year and i know it can be hard for new comers to the trade to make a go of things....But when you have been in the game a few years you will appreciate what tilers deserve to earn....

I will leave it at that...just my opinion as you have stated yours.....good luck for the future..

F

Fekin

In my view, pricing very low only works for the bigger jobs, if you are able to lay them at a fast rate and keep the quality and come out with a finished good quality job days ahead of what most other tilers can do,then fair do.

T

The D

The harsh reality is hitting home for a lot of tilers now if you cannot make money at £10.00-£15.00 a m2 then you may be in for a hard time.

S

sibs

Now I know why I keep loosing jobs......A guy rung me up today wanting his bathroom tiled as his tiler had let him down. He wanted me to do it for £12 a sqm.:yikes: I was really shocked..... is that the going rate round here? I told him I could not imagine anyone other than a cowboy being able to do it for that.... not a private bathroom. I can understand if you have a big job and can get the meterage down quickly making it a bit more profitable but bathrooms can be notoriously fidly IMO. Maybe I'm wrong... I haven't had enough experience for my speed to pick up suffciently to makea living at that rate....

L

Leatherface

Always a point for debate !
I would not generally condone going in so cheap to secure a job....
However, if i had no work for 2 or 3 weeks and had bills to pay and little mouths to feed, I would rather earn a couple of hundred quid than nothing at all !
Peoples circumstances often dictate the rates that they charge.
I understand that this is irritating to professional tradesmen, however you cannot blame a guy who wishes to earn a few quid for a weeks work, better than going out robbing or mugging old ladies.

S

simhopper

The customer will always want the cheapest price....regardless of quality given

The credit crunch is going to get a lot worse but there is still work out there

Reducing rates in my opinion is not a option,what will happen when the crunch is over....customers will still expect you to go to work for the lower amount

If i cant make x amount,i dont go to work.I have tried reducing rates before and i begrudge doing perfect kitchen and bathrooms for anything less than a fair price.

Reply to £7 sq mtr i dont think so! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen