Search the forum,

Discuss Your Top Tiling Tips. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

JIMBOB187

Evening all,

OK so things are going well (touch wood) taking bookings towards the end of May now, loads of work from marketing campaign and Topps as my store has rolled out the approved fitting scheme and I was lucky enough to be chosen as one of two fitters, but, and there is always a but, I am concerned about my speed and I do not want to start rushing my work.

I know people get faster with time and this I can see happening with myself aswell but I am worried that as I am self taught there may be methods/ tips I would have learn't on a course that I may never see and obviously you more experienced trades people will have taught yourself tips and tricks along the way.

So I will kick it off with a humble suggestion of something I have learnt and has seriously begun to P*SS me of;

1. Remember where you put your bloody pencil.:mad2:

Jim

I would just like to add that ideally time and finances willing I would definetly like to attend a course as this can only help my confidence, business currently just covering the bills at this early stage but a course is I think something I want to do.

E

enduro

My tip would be keep your tiling as clean as you can wipe adhesive from tiles and joints as you fix, dont leave to the next day when you are going to grout and you then have to spend a hour raking adhesive out of joints or scraping off tiles.

H

hillhead

a course might help you a bit but experience with other great tilers is the way to go i reckon,in 20 years you'll still be learning new trick so don't panic,i'm learning quickly and my confidence is very high,3 years in and i was showing a tiler of 8 years how to tile around a bar yeaterday and ended up doing it myself,he had even won a trade competition !!!! but i'm always watching all tiling everywhere,even when i'm out shopping,lol. great fun.

Joe.
:hurray: come on the toon

D

DHTiling

My TIP is.....Check all the colour shades on the tile box's before you fix them , because if they are wrong then you are liable , as you should check before fixing............:thumbsup:

M

MICK the Tiler

The term "SLOW TILER" pops up alot on these pages but the true meaning of the word has as many definitions as there are tilers. The term "SLOW" usually says to me that he/she is lacking in confidence and experience and this cannot be fast tracked. You have to earn your stripes as a tiler as it is a very individual trade.

The key factor in accepting and using tips is to incorporate them into your daily routine over a period of time. So that all of those little things can add up to save you consistent time blocks.

All of the tips mentioned above are what people have tried and found that they improve the experience and knowledge as a tiler. Don't try and mould yourself to take them all on at one time this would be counter productive but instead try and incorporate a couple at a time into your daily routine until they become habit. then add a few more as you grow in your abilities and master each one in time.

When your new to tiling every job will be different and at times you will struggle to keep up but in time these situations will repeat themselves and you will be in a better position to cope as you encounter more and more similar senarios and you will know the answers and be able to preform the tasks faster and easier, but it all takes time.

By the way I keep my pencil tucked into the top of my sock :thumbsup:

E

enduro

Another one that pops to mind and what i used to do when i first started, when working in a bathroom and your wet cutter is outside instead of running up and down the stairs with one tile to cut only go down when you have several to cut as this will save you lots of time and you wont get knackered running up and down the stairs :thumbsup:

E

enduro

I wear a small leather tool pouch which i put my spacers and pencil in, saves time looking for pencil and knocking over tub of tile spacers...

Reply to Your Top Tiling Tips. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen