Discuss Would you have tanked the internal corners on this? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

average

TF
Reaction score
Was just watching this video and even though this guys tiling is spot on IMO, i cant help think he didn't do his wet room exactly as i would.

I see when he taped his corners, he didnt use the wet tanking membrane that would get rolled on. I see he didnt tape all around the kaskade tray as should be. Even though it might be a downstairs wet room, id have still taped and tanked all around the tray.

Its got me thinking i might be doing my rooms over kill. I would like to think its acceptable to not bother tanking the actual tray but what about the roll on membrane over the tape, is this acceptable by just sticking it to the corners then tiling. i always roll them membrane over it but its got me thinking, is it even ok to tile over this tape without the membrane?

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=...4R7YE6YplCzMyVrew&sig2=7pBzqPk5wNnoe55J7G3Yow

R

rufus the tiler

Pretty much how I do it.....but I always find myself thinking what is the point of tanking because if the water gets to the tanking then the job is wrong anyway.....I never tank shower areas above bath .....if its tiled right you should,nt need it

average

TF
Reaction score
Pretty much how I do it.....but I always find myself thinking what is the point of tanking because if the water gets to the tanking then the job is wrong anyway.....I never tank shower areas above bath .....if its tiled right you should,nt need it

You do it my way or the same as the guy in the video ?

Reaction score
Difficult to judge what the surface is from the video. For most wet rooms (and preformed wet room shower trays) waterproof boards are used, and the waterproof tape seals the joints and screw fixings. So tanking (waterproof solution) does not need to be applied.

Rufus - I think in tests done by Deanotile, it took about 7 hours to soak through the grout to the surface behind. So if shower area (above bath) is used normally by a couple, or a family without naughty children, then its unlikely to be an issue if the walls are not tanked. But in my experience, it is becoming increasingly visible when removing tiles above a bath with a built in overhead shower, that with heavy use, the sitting water still seeps through the grout in the bottom row, leading to blackened walls behind the tiles for about 50-100mm above the bath rim. I encourage the customer to have the wall tanked for about a square metre above the bath around the shower area as a precautionary measure. Most agree.

wayne

TF
Reaction score
The corner tape used with kascade trays is a self adhesive sticky tape with waterproof material on the front. That's what it looks like he used.

average

TF
Reaction score
Difficult to judge what the surface is from the video. For most wet rooms (and preformed wet room shower trays) waterproof boards are used, and the waterproof tape seals the joints and screw fixings. So tanking (waterproof solution) does not need to be applied.

Rufus - I think in tests done by Deanotile, it took about 7 hours to soak through the grout to the surface behind. So if shower area (above bath) is used normally by a couple, or a family without naughty children, then its unlikely to be an issue if the walls are not tanked. But in my experience, it is becoming increasingly visible when removing tiles above a bath with a built in overhead shower, that with heavy use, the sitting water still seeps through the grout in the bottom row, leading to blackened walls behind the tiles for about 50-100mm above the bath rim. I encourage the customer to have the wall tanked for about a square metre above the bath around the shower area as a precautionary measure. Most agree.

What I do and been advised by a professional tiler and tile store is to nomoreply, seal all joints with tape then tank the lot. One pro tiler even said to me once, he also puts a layer of sheeting bedded in addy to help stop any slight movement in the tray to open the grout lines. He says over time, trays are prone to move a slight bit, were talking mm or under and if you install this sheeting, it helps with no hairline cracks in the grout. TBH, I've never installed the sheeting before either on a tray or floor so I can't comment on how useful it is. What you think

average

TF
Reaction score
The corner tape used with kascade trays is a self adhesive sticky tape with waterproof material on the front. That's what it looks like he used.

Yes Ive used it, however I've always tanked on top aswell. Is it on just to tile straight onto this AS tape.

M

MTiler

You could use something like Wedi board which is waterproof and therell be no need to tank it but you still have to tape the joints and screw fixings. Wedi have their own tape and screws with washers.

Reply to Would you have tanked the internal corners on this? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks