Search the forum,

Discuss Wooden Strip For L-shaped Transition With Step? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

Jamrock

Hello

I need to install tiles in a kitchen which will lead into an open-plan dining room. The dining room has an existing laminate wooden floor which will be kept in place. Some of the kitchen appliances will protrude into the dining area with a row of tiles in front of them (so the transition from tiles to laminate will be L-shaped).

There will be a noticeable step between the tiled kitchen and the laminate dining room. I'm wondering if it would be ok to use a wooden transition strip with the edges cut at a 45 degree angle to make an L-shape?

Thanks

Jamrock

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
Your on the right track, yes a wooden transition strip would do the job, as for 45 degrees, not sure, not done an L shape before but what I've done in the past is lay the wood in place and draw a line level with all the surfaces, then plane to shape / size, that way you have the height of the floor and can make it flush, finish off once fixed with a bead of silicone around the edges.

Does that make sense ?

O

Old Mod

Your on the right track, yes a wooden transition strip would do the job, as for 45 degrees, not sure, not done an L shape before but what I've done in the past is lay the wood in place and draw a line level with all the surfaces, then plane to shape / size, that way you have the height of the floor and can make it flush, finish off once fixed with a bead of silicone around the edges.

Does that make sense ?
Nope! Haha ;)

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I had a strip of stainless steel bent into a sort of square "z" shape, fitted it onto the wooden floor. Then screwed that to the floor before tiling over.

image.jpg

Reply to Wooden Strip For L-shaped Transition With Step? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen