Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Window Cill Tiling Dilemma in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

Slancelot

Second-time DIY tiler with a wonky window sill, an IKEA sink and non-IKEA kitchen units. Can you offer advice please?
image.jpeg
Previous owner of the house left behind some white square tiles, so I'm going to use these (you can see some resting on the windowsill in the photo). I was planning on screwing a piece of plywood onto the sill first to give a flat surface to tile onto. (Have been told MDF is no good for this).

Can anyone suggest how to tile the window sill and the vertical surface between worktop and the sill please?

Vertical first with a pvc edging strip, then tile windowsill? Or windowsill first?

The sink sits right up against the vertical surface so I'll have to tile down to sink then use some silicone sealer or something to fill the gap and stop water seeping down behind the sink presumably?
image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
O

Old Mod

It doesn't look like the windows open so u have plenty of room in window frame, just cut row of tiles all same size 20mm or so higher than sill.
Easier to cut larger pieces.
Stick these on face of sill, obviously trimming up the ones that sit on sink, so that they form one level line left to right.
Once dry, mix a bit of sand and cement and backfill behind tiles.
When it's gone off sit your trim on top and tile sill. Once grouted and dry, run bead of kitchen silicone sealant along front edge where it meets sink and worktop.

U

Unused Account 1

3fall right in what he says ,or build up sill with plasterboard ,keep level ,then cut the fronts the same ,the highest point ,cut into the sink ,bobs your uncle

P

p4ulo

Yeah, plasterboard would be a good shout, or a bit of hardie if you've got any lying around.
Plasterboard would be cheapest to buy from the DIY shop...
But I do like the back-filling idea up to a row of already fixed wall tiles too.....

S

Slancelot

Thanks for the advice folks, it's such a relief to get the benefit of your knowledge before I start and make rookie errors.
(I've got some plasterboard, some 18mm plywood and a bag of cement left over from other jobs so I've got options!)

"Dab on plasterboard" that just means putting some patches of adhesive down and setting the plasterboard on top of it, then checking with a spirit level? Would tile adhesive be ok?

S

Slancelot

Thanks for your helpful answer.

If I did backfill with sand & cement mix, won't it potentially leak out between the tiles? Or should I just make it a stiffer mix to avoid that?

It doesn't look like the windows open so u have plenty of room in window frame, just cut row of tiles all same size 20mm or so higher than sill.
Easier to cut larger pieces.
Stick these on face of sill, obviously trimming up the ones that sit on sink, so that they form one level line left to right.
Once dry, mix a bit of sand and cement and backfill behind tiles.
When it's gone off sit your trim on top and tile sill. Once grouted and dry, run bead of kitchen silicone sealant along front edge where it meets sink and worktop.

O

Old Mod

Thanks for your helpful answer.

If I did backfill with sand & cement mix, won't it potentially leak out between the tiles? Or should I just make it a stiffer mix to avoid that?
Do a semi dry mix, ie just enough water so that when u squeeze a hand full,
it just holds together. In a firmish ball.

S

SJPurdy

Clean off that (it looks) mouldy bit of sealant from the window sill join line.
Definitely a good idea to raise the sill so that the new tiling is above this line as it will give a much better finished job.

C

Concrete guy

I wouldn't tile that, I'd probably go for a piece of uPVC soffit or similar and make it a single waterproof piece.

S

Slancelot

DSC_0257.JPG
FINALLY got around to doing this tiling.
Thanks for all the input folks, i really appreciated all the advice.
No offence to the plasterboard/plastic sill brigade, but I went with tiling the face of the sill then backfilling before i tiled over it.

Trifle for scale (and i had a bit of spare adhesive).

Reply to Window Cill Tiling Dilemma in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks