Search the forum,

Discuss Will it fail? :) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
although some plumbers are good at tiling most ive met are not and my own opinon on it is if someones looking for a really god job then they contact a tiler direct if they dont have too high expectations of the final job and hope it looks alright this is why plumbers get a lot of tilin jobs i think.its abit like calling a glazier to fit your new carpet:smilewinkgrin:

B

Bolter

Ouch. That doesn't sound like a cheap floor to replace and do correctly. And I can almost guarantee if it's creaking now, it'll not withstand the UFH providing heat. Wonder what adhesive he's used? - Do you know that?

Yea well thats story number 2. The UFH was on 33 deg C when I turned up there Tues, I asked him if I could turn it down quite a bit as its probably not healthy for me let alone the floor :)

As for adhesive, I have no idea. That was my first thought. Maybe he used that special wykes pre mixed grout/adhesive, the stuff legends are made of!

NOT!:mad2:

B

Bolter

Uneven = rustic....

That's a good one! What I hear over here a lot is "It's within spec."

When I say "OK fine, which specs are you using?" , I just get a blank stare.:incazzato:

yeah lol, tiles with 5mm joint one end of the room and nearly butted up near the door is rustic.

Also cutting a huge c shape out of the tile making sure it leaves a full inch gap round the architrave is also rustic :) actually maybe he considered it a sizeable expansion gap :D

Last edited by a moderator:
L

LM Ceramics

Get your own back on the plumbers. Do a short plumbing course and you could then take on plumbing jobs. I've got another 2 small plumbing jobs lined up this week. Bolter, hopefully you will get a call in a few months time to do the floor.

exactly what ive done booked a 4 day plumbing course nearly finished a full bathroom installation ive also added a mixer shower and changed bath and sink wastes not the easiest to start with and its took me 3 weeks im sick of waiting on plumbers and plumbers that think they can tile so ive done the opposite and ive been given funny looks off plumbers in the plumbing merchants when im asking for advice one lad turned round and said get a plumber in instead" it winds them up

i dont know everything about plumbing but im still learning

R

Rob Z

yeah lol, tiles with 5mm joint one end of the room and nearly butted up near the door is rustic.
:yikes:5 mm on one end and tight on the other end....and we just finished a floor where we sweated bullets trying to get things as perfect as possible...the tiles were ~12" X 12", warped/cupped/out of square, and we fought with each and every one of them. Once we were done and the floor was grouted, the max variation along the joints was about 1/16". I was relieved that it looked as good as it did because I was worried the whole time we were setting this floor. So it kills me to see a bozo like this getting away with murder and caring not one whit, while we :mad2: trying to do the best job possible with the tile and the substrate that we have. Sorry for the rant but it has been a real PITA the past few weeks.

Also cutting a huge c shape out of the tile making sure it leaves a full inch gap round the architrave is also rustic :) actually maybe he considered it a sizeable expansion gap :D
NICE!:thumbsup:

Reply to Will it fail? :) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Replies you've not seen

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.