Currently reading:
Which former tray to buy

Discuss Which former tray to buy in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mattym

I'm looking at doing a partial wet area for the shower in the new bathroom. It's a timber floor, but unfortunately i'm unable to site the waste within the joists. I could build a platform for an impey or tuffdec, but I did come across these and wondered if anyone had any experience with them?

Abacus Direct Elements Concept Raised Shower Tray 120/130mm
Abacus Direct Elements Concept Raised Shower Tray 145/155mm

Can they mount straight on the floorboards or should I cross overboard with 6mm ply?

Cheers,

Matt

M

mattym

We fitted 120 because we could not get onto soilstack any lower but customer wanted wetfloor look it was pretty easy and yes it is strong Abacus used to distribute Lux Element trays which we used im told Abacus have copied the Lux range so im sure it is more or less the same.

Thats exactly my problem - i'd like to have the tray at floor level but i've either got numerous joists to go through, or RSJ then straight in to the kitchen! I'm thinking raised and tiled would be a good compromise.

Where did you get the tray from? any good discount places?

I like the Marmox, though I have usually fitted Impey. Marmox are cheaper and a hell of a lot lighter. Had problems with people walking on Wedi and leaving indentations, not keen on them anyway. I have a disabled access wetroom to do next week and have been told that the marmox or indeed any of the foam based formers may not be up to the pressure loading of wheels or shower chairs when tiled with mosaic. Anyone got any experience to confirm this? Not taking any risks as its a re-do after a builder tiled a flat concrete floor with flat tiles so using an 1850x900 Impey.

Reply to Which former tray to buy in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.