Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss When working in brick bond ? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

G

Gazzer

Imagine this job. Bathroom to be tiled in 150 x 75 crackle glaze tiles. Its also 3 colours, Random pattern, white, dark white ? and light grey....the dado border is the dark white colour
Its to be tiled brick bond / half bond, so you get to about halfway up the wall and then you need to introduce a 20 x 150 pencil dado border.
So do you half bond the border with the tile below or keep it on joint ?...bearing in mind that above the dado you need to start tiling again as below.
Just came across this with a plumber and a client recently, both had different ideas but the client won.

peteablard

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Personally i'd brick bond the dado too however I would ask the customer as I know they sometimes like to do things differently. I had it with a mosaic border once where they wanted the tiles above and below to mirror each other rather than staggered, looked cack IMO but I just stick them!

I

Ian

Problem is, if you brick bond the dado, the two courses either side will be the same bond and in my mind that would look wrong, especially as the dado is only 20mm.

G

Gazzer

Problem is, if you brick bond the dado, the two courses either side will be the same bond and in my mind that would look wrong, especially as the dado is only 20mm.

Bingo, that was the clients concern.

S

SJPurdy

you could have put the border so that it was 1/4 bond, so that the tiles above and below are like brick work but the border jonts lie halfway between the two. When faced with a problem like this i lay the tiles out on a flat surface and see which way looks best.

C

charlie1

The field tiles are the brick bond, the dado border is secondary and should not interrupt the main feature so i would not brick the dado. I would have the discussion with client though to talk sense in to them if need be

Reply to When working in brick bond ? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks