Search the forum,

Discuss When to use a finishing tool on grout? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

Crumbs

Thanks guys, i used a virtex finshing tool in the end, only cost a few £ from screwfix. :cool: But in places it does look like its taken to much grout out, most likely slightly different size lines. The tile above causes light shadows onto the grout lines. Think the tool is likely better suited for smaller gaps.

Any tips on what i can use, i used spacers 3mm for tiling.
Also can i grout on top of it or am i better raking the areas out? Nice one thx ;)

Q

Qwerty

Care to elaborate on your 'disagree' comment @Brian the Tile ? Which of my comments did you disagree with? What are your thoughts on using a grout finishing tool.

Brian the Tile

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I really cant see how you can get a perfect finish by just using a sponge ,the only time i dont point the joints is with mosaic or most floors ive never been able to get a good finish without ,what about metro tiles ,the same thing ?

Q

Qwerty

Yes. Never ever used a tool. I ensure all joints fully filled at the grouting stage. This combined with attention to detail when wiping down guarantees compacted, even and smooth joints. Yes, even with metros!

B

Blunt Tool

Always have the old drumstick to hand, had it since Keith Moon threw it at me for driving his roller into a swimming pool!! Perfect joints every time! ;)

Reply to When to use a finishing tool on grout? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen