Search the forum,

Discuss What to charge per m2? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Dash J

Totally agree with Andy on this one,
day rate for small jobs
price per meter on larger areas otherwise you will always be working for peanuts.

find out the average price in your area by ringing a few tile shops and then aim at the higher end. who knows, you might even get it ;0) and if you don't then you can always renegotiate because its easier to come down in price, than it is to go up!

Rule number one is never to come down in price
what does that say about you if you are willing to knock something off
put a price in and stick to it
surely you must have some idea of your rates?
if they are not happy with cost then walk away
no point in taking your portfolio to the job centre
because of working for nothing

R

Russell brown

Totally agree with Andy on this one,
day rate for small jobs
price per meter on larger areas otherwise you will always be working for peanuts.

find out the average price in your area by ringing a few tile shops and then aim at the higher end. who knows, you might even get it ;0) and if you don't then you can always renegotiate because its easier to come down in price, than it is to go up!

Rule number one is never to come down in price
what does that say about you if you are willing to knock something off
put a price in and stick to it
surely you must have some idea of your rates?
if they are not happy with cost then walk away
no point in taking your portfolio to the job centre
because of working for nothing

i know what I charge normally for tiling. This however I've never used so was wondering if it's as labour intensified as I think and need to price accordingly. I've walked away from jobs because I'm not willing to drop my prices. I was called out to look at a job the other week a tiler had laid 50m2 of 60x60 polished porcelain on uneven floor supply materials for what I wanted to charge for laying the remainder 25m2 with materials. When she told me the price I told her to wait until her guy was available as I wouldn't be doing it for that and left.

D

Dash J

If you think that the job is going to be more then accommodate that into your cost
What I'm getting at is surely you must know what you would be happy with?
You can't price something at 8m2 that's going to take you three days
You have day rates?

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
(Fingers) every second strip in the tile is shorter by the thickness of the tile so they lock in. Like a mortice and tennant joint

Can't realy see the link on my phone but from what I can see I think the patern is on a rectangle tile that is but jointed to look like split faced mosaic. ...topps do one thats a right pain to use..

O

Old Mod

If they are individual pieces of stone they are a breeze to fix! They fly up and as has been mentioned no grouting that's always a plus! As far as mitring goes, never done it but they are as soft as they come. Would imagine a good profiling blade would tear into them. Couldn't imagine it taking more than two days at worst. BUT DONT QUOTE ME! Haha good luck.

R

Russell brown

If I'm honest I was thinking 2 days but wanted to check with someone who was experienced with a tile like this just to make sure I was about right

O

Old Mod

One other thing, if they are similar to what I've encountered before watch for rust marked pieces.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
This might be a silly question, but why mitre the edges? The design of the tiles are random size, random depth. You will have to match each individual tile depth with another of the same depth.

Also, aren't these tiles on a interlocking mosaic mesh?

another also!!! These tiles are slate, will they not chip when mitred?

Last also............you will have to wet cut them (because they are slate).

8sqm and no grouting = 2 days at your daily rate.

T

Time's Ran Out

This might be a silly question, but why mitre the edges? The design of the tiles are random size, random depth. You will have to match each individual tile depth with another of the same depth.

Also, aren't these tiles on a interlocking mosaic mesh?

another also!!! These tiles are slate, will they not chip when mitred?

Last also............you will have to wet cut them (because they are slate).

Told you it was going to be fun ... And in my case (4 display panels) the return is going to be no more than 50mm. Looks like my son is going to have a great few days out in the sun.
But the end result will look great - its in onyx slate.

Reply to What to charge per m2? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen