Search the forum,

Discuss What to charge per m2? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Russell brown

Hi I know this is a public forum but I can't join the private one yet, don't expect anyone to discuss prices on here but if you could PM me I'd appreciate it. I've been asked to tile a chimney Brest in something similar to this http://tilestapstubs.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Black-Slate-Wall-Cladding-DCW012-1.jpg but not sure what to charge per m2 as its a lot more labour intensive having to wet cut all the external mitres etc.. I'd really like this job to add to my portfolio so don't want to go in to cheap and end up working for nothing and to dear and end up losing it. Hopefully got a full ensuite install to do for the same customer aswell.

T

Time's Ran Out

But that's the fun!
You will not win on every job (ie cover your wages) but with this type of material you just have to allow a certain length of time 1/2 days and put your rate in accordingly.
I've got 4 large panels to do around a swimming pool and they will have 50mm mitred returns - so should be Fun!

ttt tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Forget m2 prices , I work out how long (worst case) and price accordingly
If you want to secure the following job , price it best case and swallow the loss!
Its all in a days work!

A

Aston

I agree with Andy,
day rate for small jobs
price per meter on larger areas.

find out the average price in your area by ringing a few tile shops and then aim at the higher end. who knows, you might even get it ;0) and if you don't then you can always renegotiate because its easier to come down in price, than it is to go up!

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Russell brown

There's 8m2 around the Brest, I've also got to remove a stone lintel that's sticking out and replace with a concrete one that's flush plus sand the paint off the walls. I've never used a tile like this so how long would you expect it to take you to tile that sort of area mitring the external corners as I'm imagining it's quite labour intensive. I know everyone works at different speeds but there's a day for me to replace the lintel and prep the walls.

aussie tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
lt might be worth asking if they do the fingers with this tile i.e. they lock in on external corners, much faster and looks better imo. Atleast you don't have to grout.

R

Russell brown

lt might be worth asking if they do the fingers with this tile i.e. they lock in on external corners, much faster and looks better imo. Atleast you don't have to grout.

Thanks for that Tip!. That must be a right time saver.

D

Dash J

Totally agree with Andy on this one,
day rate for small jobs
price per meter on larger areas otherwise you will always be working for peanuts.

find out the average price in your area by ringing a few tile shops and then aim at the higher end. who knows, you might even get it ;0) and if you don't then you can always renegotiate because its easier to come down in price, than it is to go up!

Rule number one is never to come down in price
what does that say about you if you are willing to knock something off
put a price in and stick to it
surely you must have some idea of your rates?
if they are not happy with cost then walk away
no point in taking your portfolio to the job centre
because of working for nothing

R

Russell brown

Totally agree with Andy on this one,
day rate for small jobs
price per meter on larger areas otherwise you will always be working for peanuts.

Rule number one is never to come down in price
what does that say about you if you are willing to knock something off
put a price in and stick to it
surely you must have some idea of your rates?
if they are not happy with cost then walk away
no point in taking your portfolio to the job centre
because of working for nothing

i know what I charge normally for tiling. This however I've never used so was wondering if it's as labour intensified as I think and need to price accordingly. I've walked away from jobs because I'm not willing to drop my prices. I was called out to look at a job the other week a tiler had laid 50m2 of 60x60 polished porcelain on uneven floor supply materials for what I wanted to charge for laying the remainder 25m2 with materials. When she told me the price I told her to wait until her guy was available as I wouldn't be doing it for that and left.

D

Dash J

If you think that the job is going to be more then accommodate that into your cost
What I'm getting at is surely you must know what you would be happy with?
You can't price something at 8m2 that's going to take you three days
You have day rates?

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
(Fingers) every second strip in the tile is shorter by the thickness of the tile so they lock in. Like a mortice and tennant joint

Can't realy see the link on my phone but from what I can see I think the patern is on a rectangle tile that is but jointed to look like split faced mosaic. ...topps do one thats a right pain to use..

Reply to What to charge per m2? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen