Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

1. laugh TilersForums.co.uk Tiling Job Of The Month Competition! laugh

Vote on July competition by clicking HERE (click the thumbs up on the job you want to win!

Enter in August competition by clicking HERE (click 'add your JOTM entry' and then 'add media')

Discuss What do my tiles know? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.co.uk.

Tags:
  1. christonabike

christonabike Active Member

I was just moving my tiles this morning when I noticed a diagram on the box illustrating that they can't be laid in a brick effect and can only have an overlap of 12cm. The tiles are 600x300mm. Has anyone got an explanation for this? Surely a tile doesn't know where it's neighbors are joined, and why would it be bothered?

2. hmtiling

hmtiling Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner

It's to do with how flat they are. put 2 face to face and I think you'll see they are bowed slightly. fixing these at half/brick bond with accentuate this. However, these can be fixed brick bond, if you'd like, with lippage clips in most cases.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. christonabike

christonabike Active Member

Thanks for the quick reply, that does make sense of it. I've just tried a few faces together and they're not too bad so will carry on as planned. Even better that I can blame the tiles over my workmanship for trips.

• Like Like x 2
  4. callatiler

callatiler Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

Use the levelling clips, they are very good and available in most local tile shops and they will demonstrate how to use them, will give you a nice flat floor.

5. Andy Allen

Andy Allen Forum Entertainer! Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

Now you can see what us tilers have to put up with on a daily basis!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. timeless john

timeless john Trusted Advisor Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

IMG_0295.PNG

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Rookery

Rookery Professional Tiler

With half bond, the low point of one tile is next to the high point of the adjacent tile. You could fix them 1/3 bond to minimise the lippage.