Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Wetting ceramic tiles in water 1 hour before fixing. in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

G

Gazebo

Good morning all.

I have a small quad shower enclosure to tile, it is stud walls lined with aquapanel and jointed etc. I am using white spf addy. My question is the tiles turned up yesterday and on the box it stated they should be immersed in water for at least 1 hour before fixing and that any excess water is left to dry.

They are 600x300 ceramics and i have never seen this or used this method before.

Any advice? do i really need to immerse them in water 1st.?

I am supposed to be fixing them today so any early risers with answers would be greatly appreciated.

Gary

M

Mike

are you fixing them standard set or brick bond? if brick bond the walls need to be spot on as any imperfections will show, especially with the rectified edges

M

Mike

check the tiles aren't bowed, put some tiles face to face and see if they 'rock'. some tiles that size are liable to bow

G

Gazebo

No Doug, just a white biscuit ceramic. they seem to be quite light for the size and thickness, i spoke to the independent shop who supplied them and you really dont want to know what they said. trust me.

Makes me wonder how they stay in business.

D

doug boardley

I remember years ago we used to soak clay tiles when we fixed them with sand and cement, but thought that method had died out long ago,,,,what did they say?

D

DHTiling

If the biscuit is that porous then simply back skim before fixing..

I cannot see a need for soaking them that long ffs..:lol:

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
i did a bathroom in some kinda tile,can't remember what called:mad2:6x6 white +skirting+pencil+dado,think they were from some reclamation place in blackpool,they had to be soaked,really thick tiles and the back was porous as hell,dried the addy like a,erm, quick drying thing,looked the dogs though,im going back there in a bit to tile a floor,will try and get some pic's,when noones in so not to look a weirdo taking pics of there loo i tiled 6 ish years ago:lol:

Reply to Wetting ceramic tiles in water 1 hour before fixing. in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcgtech
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks