Search the forum,

Discuss wetroom tray and mosaics needing help in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jaguar66

Hi all im after a bit of advice ive searched but cant seem to find a post on this question . Im in the process of fitting my first wetroom used hardibacker for the walls and floor and have a tankng material from topps the tray is in place as per manufacturer destructions my question is do i need to cut the mosaics that im fitting to the diagonal fall of the tray or can i just lay the mosaics without cutting them . If the answer is to cut them hows best to do this i have a wet cutter and a normal hand cutter any help would be greatly recieved. just 1 more point the mosaics are the oblong mosaics in a brick pattern on a sheet of hessian thanks..:yikes:

G

Gazzer

It would depend on the fall of the tray and size of the mosaics. Generally mosaics can be as normal without cutting but not all things are the same.

J

jaguar66

yep the tray is from topps with a 2 degree fall to the center its 1200mm x 900mm and the mosaics are i think natural stone that come on a 12x12 inch sheet of hessian they are about 30 mm x 10mm

D

DHTiling

Mosaics tend to fall with the flow as they say///no cuts unless against the walls or drain cover.:)

D

Daz

I think with a 30mm x 10mm mosaic, I too, would be inclined to envelope cut them, however if you "dry lay" them onto the base you will soon get a feel as to how badly the corners stand up. Here's a pic of 50mm x 50mm marble that I did without envelope cuts and that worked out great.

IMG_0222.jpg

Square mosaics lend themselves to wetfloors without envelope cuts more so than rectangular mosaics, IMO.

If your mosaics are natural stone, then you will need to cut them with a wet cutter as they will not cut via a score and snap.

Good luck,

Daz

J

jaguar66

thanx im terrified of cocking this job up someone said dry lay and place a ball on the tiles to make sure the fall is sufficient but if its an envelope cut i need will a piece of masking tape accross the tiles on the cut line help and also my wet cutter is just a cheap one i dont think its upto the job if i buy a new one can anybody reccomend one for about 100 quid or so i know a ruby is what is mostly reccomended but i dont think the budget will stretch.

D

Daz

I'm unsure of your experience Jag, so I hope this isn't an insult. Why don't you advise what area you are in and maybe a tiler with experience and the right kit will be prepared to help you (for a fee of course)???

Just a thought,

Daz

Reply to wetroom tray and mosaics needing help in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen