Search the forum,

Discuss Wet UFH - Straight onto screed or plywood? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

I

Indy

Hello all,
Can't quite believe my luck that I've stumbled across this forum as I'm looking for a professional tiler in the East London/Essex area. :hurray:

I have a question before I get a tiler in though. I am laying UFH in the ground floor of my house, in some areas it will be on a concrete floor and in others it will be housed in a suspended floor. Do I need to plywood over the 3" screed in order to get a level floor for the tiler to work his magic on or do the tiles go straight onto the screed?

I am planning on laying 600sq stone tiles on the entire ground floor roughly 112sq/m if that helps.

Cheers

I

Indy

A builder friend called me to discuss the matter and his advice was to use 12mm plywood only in the areas where I have a suspended floor, this is to spread the load just in case something large and heavy falls onto it.

More investigations to follow..

Reaction score
if you planing to use UFH > electric 1! then you need overlay concrete floor with insulation boars other way you will be heating concrete and you UFH will be not effective, where concrete meets plywood I would recommend to use expansion gap for the tiles (about 5mm), 12mm plywood is to thine for the stone, you should use 18mm plywood, then prime the plywood, stick insulation boards with flexible adhesive, then UFH, then latex all floor, then use Uncoupling membrane, then you can lay stone.
good luck

D

Daz

I think you need to consider possible expansion gaps where the substrates meet, and also a decoupling membrane such as Ditra across the whole floor. You may be inviting trouble fixing stone on a UFH floor with differing substrates.

Reply to Wet UFH - Straight onto screed or plywood? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen