Search the forum,

Discuss Wet ufh screed in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Rossymcg

A question for anyone in the know, I'm retro fitting wet ufh down stairs in my house, I'm taking up the timber floor boards acro proping the timber joists to help carry the addition load,fitting Kingspan in between the joists, then the pipe work,
The screed to use is my question, does anyone know if I could use a standard concrete mix if not why not? I've been involve many times in new build wet ufh, where we've used sharp sand and cement damp mix and the pumped flow screed, but I'd only be doing a room at a time and would be better if I could mix the concrete and lay myself

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I would and have used anhydrite to do this. It gives better thermal performance and response than concrete and is stronger at thinner depths.

R

Rossymcg

I would and have used anhydrite to do this. It gives better thermal performance and response than concrete and is stronger at thinner depths.
How much of a better thermal performance? I'll be screeding to a depth of 100mm, I'm gona need 2m3 for 1st room, how would costs stack up having your stuff pumped in against concrete?

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Normally when I'm fitting ufh between joists, I fit kingspan on bearers between the joists 50mm below the top. Clip the pipe to the kingspan and fill the gap with a weak sand and cement. Then self level the whole floor. Install edge insulation around the perimeter for expansion, Then lay fermacell over the top. It's a quick heat up and you can tile or carpet straight on to.
p

Attachments

• image.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 129
R

Rossymcg

Normally when I'm fitting ufh between joists, I fit kingspan on bearers between the joists 50mm below the top. Clip the pipe to the kingspan and fill the gap with a weak sand and cement. Then self level the whole floor. Install edge insulation around the perimeter for expansion, Then lay fermacell over the top. It's a quick heat up and you can tile or carpet straight on to.
p
it an old house and the joists are only 100mm deep, I was considering fixing the Kingspan to the underside of the joists, minimum dept for sand and cement screed with ufh is 75mm which would have left me with 100mm to fill with concrete, but the 100mm of concrete is quite a bit of mass to heat up,
i like your style with this way, how come only a weak compo mix?

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
it an old house and the joists are only 100mm deep, I was considering fixing the Kingspan to the underside of the joists, minimum dept for sand and cement screed with ufh is 75mm which would have left me with 100mm to fill with concrete, but the 100mm of concrete is quite a bit of mass to heat up,
i like your style with this way, how come only a weak compo mix?
You will get 75 mm with the system I proposed. 50mm of screed and 25 mm of solid fermacell. If you are tiling, that is also part of the mass. The screed is a weak mix as its not structural, its just there as mass.

R

Rossymcg

Where abouts are you getting the fermacell birds from?
I've googled them but can't seem to find a stockist

Reply to Wet ufh screed in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen