Search the forum,

Discuss Wet Floor Leaking in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

scotty9a9

So I have isolated the leaks to both the front and rear walls and some of the floor. In effect the only part that seems to hold water with no leaking is around the drain and about 40 centimetres around that.

All in all looks like quite a bodge job and given this not sure I can trust another wet floor installation.

M

Mr Tiler

is that bad tiling Neale? surely the water shouldn't be getting even beyond the tiles never mind the bad tanking to that extent? is there silicone on the internal joints?

Last edited by a moderator:
S

scotty9a9

There is mastic on the external joints but unfortunately I am not sure what they did in fitting internally. The tiles are natural stone so maybe its properties are not the best for wet rooms.

If it helps all the water all runs down into the one spot at the edge irrespective of whether the side or rear wall or part of the floor is made wet. That's why originally I was thinking of some way of draining this leak externally.

S

scotty9a9

I also remember the builders mentioning that they were using sika waterproofer on the walls but after looking at their webpage not sure exactly what product they used.

Perhaps as the leak appears to be coming from the one spot directly at the edge of the wall and the subfloor (chipboard) that they put in would it be worth trying to insert some [h=3]Sika® Finishing Mortar to try to fill the gap and stop the leak? I guess I am clutching at straws and this will just push the water to escape somewhere else although would be good to have your thoughts.[/h]
It just seems all the water is funnelling to the edge of this chipboard and existing wall.

Thanks for all your help with this. It is much appreciated.

M

Mr Tiler

Run your finger nail down the internal corners mate if it fees like cement its either grout or sealent but if it feels rubbery its silicone it sounds like it could be grout cracking on the internal joints or bad silicone. Unless the natural stone hasn't been sealed but I can't comment there as I have no experience. Hope it helps ya bud shame cuz it looks really nice and I bet it wasn't cheap!

beanz

TF
Reaction score
Take a good look at the silicone, maybe even take some photos. Even if they've siliconed the internal corners, I doubt they used a neutral curing silicone, so it'll come away from the stone anyway. ;)

Ash, silicone is sealant. ;)

M

Mr Tiler

Take a good look at the silicone, maybe even take some photos. Even if they've siliconed the internal corners, I doubt they used a neutral curing silicone, so it'll come away from the stone anyway. ;)

Ash, silicone is sealant. ;)
silicone is a sealent but sealent isn't a silicone. I used sealent doesn't dry like silicone its like half silicone half grout.... And it doesn't work well lol

Reply to Wet Floor Leaking in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen