Search the forum,

Discuss Wet cutter chipping ceramic... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

McKarp

Hello, Im finishing up a job my uncle started. Floor tiles. Im using a wet cutter but its chipping the ceramic off the tiles as it cuts. The water level is correct and Ive tried it with the tile face up and face down. Any ideas?

G

Gazzer

Is the wheel warped? What make is it and make of cutter. Depending on the tile too, some tiles will always chip.

D

Dave Ramsden

Id be trying a new blade. What kind of cutter is it? If its been well used it may not be calibrated properly...

K

kaharrison9

As a last resort if you have a dry cutter then score it then cut along the the scored line with the wet cutter

D

Daz

As Kev,

I would score the lines with a dry cutter, then cut just "inside" the score line with the wet cutter, this should avoid chipping.

Daz

J

jay

normal ceramics should cut alright on a dry cutter might be worth investing in a 4 inch grinder for difficult cuts

I

itstony

Haven´t been in the forum for ages and logged in to post a thread on good a good blade I saw on EBay.

You haven´t stated what machine you use, so difficult to suggest what to use.
Porcelain is not easy to work with without a good cutter. Get a decent blade and that´s the biggest step towards good cutting.
And ..... you do not need to spend bundles on blades, bin there done that and found one of the cheapest is by far the best.
And no, I am not selling them, just sharing my bad and good experiences.

M

McKarp

Hi guys thanks for the replies. My uncle has collected the tile cutter so I dont know what make it was.
I tried scoring them with a manual tile cutter but they are too big to go in the one I purchased.
Now Im left with a half tiled floor. Im going to have to buy a tile cutter to finish the job.
The tiles are 300mm x 300mm. Wickes cheapest tiles. My budget for a tile cutter is £80. Can anyone reccommend a good one?

Thanks

Reply to Wet cutter chipping ceramic... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen