Search the forum,

Discuss web design question in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

user123

Ok, I'm stumped. This new website I made for myself shows perfectly, as intended, on Internet Explorer, but my pride and joy, the copyrighted feature and image descriptions, which make it a) impossible to copy or save my images by anyone visiting the page and b) give a description for each image, do not work in either Firefox nor Safari, is there a way of overcoming this?

I noticed that Internet Explorer is really the only one that shows the title right, too, the others obviously can't cope with word art, which is no big deal, but the rest is annoying.... over to the pc whizzes... thanks :)

U

user123

Thanks, Neale, yes, me, too, I meant the image descriptions.... if you open Internet Explorer, you see a differently coloured Makeitsomosaics title (which I have changed now to suit all, but waiting for Hubby to upload) but you can also see image descriptions and you cannot copy! Anyhow, I added a copyright note, don't really want to do the watermark thing on the photos... but that also will only show when re-uploaded...

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
The javascript you used is IE code. So it prevents (not stops) users from right clicking an image, but it'll only work in IE. And actually, if you go to File>Save on the page, and save the whole page, you get a nice little folder with all the images in right on your desktop.

You can never stop people saving the images to their computers. They can screen dump and cut the image out of that even if it was done with flash or even a video or something.

U

user123

Ah, ok, so be it then Dan, thanks for that!
I changed the title font, lost the shaded wordart, H will upload it in a mo, tweaked the colour scheme a bit, got rid of the scroll down button images, don't need them really, and added the copyright line, I know it won't deter those who really want to claim work as their own, but it will remind people somewhat, I guess. Isn't it weird how differently things look in different browsers?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
The best thing you could do is add a watermark tradetiler style. Notice most of his own pictures he's taken have tradetiler.com written in them somewhere.

I'd have a password protected section perhaps, one that you hand out to potential customers that has high res images in them of all your work. But then on the main website have lots of samples and whatnot but try to encourage potential customers to contact you for a password. And at that stage you'll be able to get their details and whatnot first.

But unfortunately any picture on the net that isn't behind a password is subject to be copied at some point.

You could also do with blocking Google images using your robots.txt file as loads of people use that to rob pictures from other websites. Though it could be a nice source of traffic if you didn't do it as your work is all stuff appealing to the eye so people who are interested in that sort of thing may head straight to google images to find some examples.

Bit of a catch-22.

U

user123

Thanks for your attention Dan, I appreciate it, but reckon I'll just leave it. There was someone who pretended my gecko was one of his, and posted it on facebook where one of my mosaic friends spotted it, so that gets annoying, but these images are there to serve to shwo people a variety of possible styles, so it is advertising. I see where you are coming from re the password option, but that seems a little 'precious' to me, just a risk we take I suppose with images. The IE option seemed really neat though, shame it isn't the same across the bord.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Some more scripts to stop the IE6 image-bar pop-up, add watermarking (visible and/or invisible), and even a script that emails you if somebody is using your image on their website without changing the path to the image (so it's loading still from your website even though it's on theirs).

Image Protection - Copyrighting your photographs

Some nice info on there, but it'll only stop novice web users.

My little bro can even find images on facebook in folders that are meant to be secure, on a profile that he isn't a friend with. And when he finds them, if they get deleted, providing he knew/knows the image name he can STILL get them even though the person has erased them from their profile.

Nothing is bullet proof on the net I'm afraid. I spend a lot of time and money on securing our network in many ways.

U

user123

Some more scripts to stop the IE6 image-bar pop-up, add watermarking (visible and/or invisible), and even a script that emails you if somebody is using your image on their website without changing the path to the image (so it's loading still from your website even though it's on theirs).

Image Protection - Copyrighting your photographs

Some nice info on there, but it'll only stop novice web users.

My little bro can even find images on facebook in folders that are meant to be secure, on a profile that he isn't a friend with. And when he finds them, if they get deleted, providing he knew/knows the image name he can STILL get them even though the person has erased them from their profile.

Nothing is bullet proof on the net I'm afraid. I spend a lot of time and money on securing our network in many ways.

What?? Outrageous... I will have a look at that link anyhow, thanks again! :) it's all an education.... you're right into this aren't you? :lol:

Reply to web design question in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen