Search the forum,

Discuss WBP Ply Sealing in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

Aspesim

Hi Guys

I'm currently doing my bathroom and need to purchase some WBP ply for the floor. I've read I need to seal the underside and sides, is this with PVA. I have some BAL bonding agent I used in my cloakroom for the walls should I use this?

Also what is Tanking and which product do you recommend? Is it painted on? do you have a basecoat and a topcoat? or do I have the whole concept wrong!!

Thanks
Simon.

T

Time's Ran Out

:welcome: - a forum sponsor PHG wetrooms can provide all your tanking needs - click on their Ad.
There are a few methods of tanking from painted on to rolled membranes and all have easy intructions.
Instead of ply if you have a stable, deflection free floor you could consider a waterproof board such as Wedi of Hardie tile backer.
Good luck

A

Aspesim

Hi John

The current floor has water damage from the old bath, I'll be putting down 18mm ply overlaid with 6mm tile backer board. (not sure which one yet)

P

phil w

Hi John

The current floor has water damage from the old bath, I'll be putting down 18mm ply overlaid with 6mm tile backer board. (not sure which one yet)
Had the same thing old water damaged chip board floor, added noggins across joists, might be worth thinking about while floor is up, then 18mm wbp board and 6mm marmox board, marmox rep told me to check tilefix direct.com as those where the cheapest around at the time (just before xmas), good service and delivery worth a look

A

Aspesim

Thanks Guys

What about sealing the underneath and sides. What should I use?
Is this done with the Mapei stuff as well (tanking)

P

Perry

Had the same thing old water damaged chip board floor, added noggins across joists, might be worth thinking about while floor is up, then 18mm wbp board and 6mm marmox board, marmox rep told me to check tilefix direct.com as those where the cheapest around at the time (just before xmas), good service and delivery worth a look

not as cheap as these
Backer boards&SubCategoryName=Marmox&CategoryID=17&SubCategoryID=123

G

Gall.B

Thanks Guys

What about sealing the underneath and sides. What should I use?
Is this done with the Mapei stuff as well (tanking)

Use the Bal bond you have for priming the ply (if it aint been sitting around to long or the same brand your gluing the boards with ie Mapei, Weber etc.
Best to use the same brand throughout for primer, addhesive, grout and tanking paste.

A

Aspesim

Hi Gall

Thanks for the advise. I will use the BAL primer. Do I prime the top (before Tanking) or just the bottom and all sides?

G

Gall.B

Bal primer APD should be in your tanking kit, use that or the Primer primer with your kit.

Reply to WBP Ply Sealing in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
Pro help please... i have a large outside area 6msq approximately...ive just had a concrete...
Replies
Views
Does anyone know how I can get hold of some discontinued Seramiksan Teos Black 33 x 33 tiles. I...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Hoping that once again I can get some good advice on here, you were invaluable when...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen