Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Victorian Pathway Problem in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

C

Chris101

I have just taken more pics at the best angles possible so you can see what the tiler meant by uneven tiles. Should I expect it fully flush or is it very difficult to get them completely flush?

20160512_223906.jpg 20160512_223904.jpg 20160512_223838.jpg 20160512_223806.jpg 20160512_223730.jpg 20160512_223726.jpg 20160512_223722.jpg

O

One Day

The tiles are 100% NOT uneven. He clearly has no experience with geometrics and has no right to describe himself as a tiler. I've seen better from handymen and builders.
Sorry but that is a terrible mess of a job.

T

Time's Ran Out

After all your previous posts trying to prepare for a good job it must be disappointing to be in this situation.
I would assume you checked his portfolio prior to contracting this 'tiler' but this is work well outside his skill set. Basic mistakes are evident in the setting out, and the border is a complete mess.
Not sure if anything can be salvaged from where it is at present, but it's never going to look a professional job.

S

Spare Tool

And it would have been so easy to pull a mix of Ardex K301 down the path with a level...bloody shame :(

C

Chris101

The base of the pathway was naturally uneven, which the original landscapers advised on this due to the way the house was originally designed..

The tiler mentioned the same at the beginning - 'due to this the pathway wont be 100% straight'...

The tiler spoke very well, has a website that looks very professional and we found him through a recommendation online....

Could he really be a cow boy or could other factors of the base and layout of the property be causing these issues?

O

Old Mod

The base of the pathway was naturally uneven, which the original landscapers advised on this due to the way the house was originally designed..

The tiler mentioned the same at the beginning - 'due to this the pathway wont be 100% straight'...

The tiler spoke very well, has a website that looks very professional and we found him through a recommendation online....

Could he really be a cow boy or could other factors of the base and layout of the property be causing these issues?

What has the design of the house got to do with the path not being flat?
Flat doesn't necessarily mean level, it just means flat!
And what's an even floor got to do with it not being straight?
Whether it's perfectly perpendicular to the property is one thing, but that has nothing to do with it being flat or level.
U'd want a slight fall for drainage, but it can still be flat and straight.
The top half of the image below is an extension, joining the garage to the main house.
But it's not in line with the main building, it's twisted. I separated the two with that oblong detail in the middle, so that it all appears in line.
But both halves are still straight, just not with each other :D
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

C

Chris101

Sorry I am not sure why I mentioned the house was being not straight.
It is the neighbours wall that is not straight...

The base is also at a gradiant to provide wheelchair access...

R

Russel

Hi Chris

If I was you I would hold back payment as its sub standard.
They need to be absolutely 100% flat to necessary falls/gradients for water run off.
What is his website?

T

Time's Ran Out

Russel - not sure I'd agree to withhold payment totally.
The warning points were there at the outset and yet Chris still went ahead.
He has a consensus now to make a judgement and I'am sure he realises the issues to confront.
For me I'd knock it on the head now and cut his losses.

E

ExplodingPudding

Would be interesting to know how much he charged. Was it dot and dabbed? Did he dry lay prior to tiling?

C

Chris101

Here are some pics prior to him starting to tile and in the first week of tiling.
He did not dot and dab and he only dry laid some tiles...

IMG-20160505-WA0008.jpg IMG-20160505-WA0005.jpg IMG-20160421-WA0009.jpg IMG-20160420-WA0010.jpg IMG-20160420-WA0005.jpg IMG-20160420-WA0001.jpg

L

LM

That 'tiler' hasn't got a clue, that adhesive 'bed/PREP?' Is an absolute mess and don't start me about the setting out. He's a guy that's maybe seen someone do it before and thinks he can do it to and is chancing his arm. Nothing more needs to be said really, a picture paints a thousand words as they say!

W

White Room

Being small tiles the pathway needs to be flat as a pancake, the third pic from the top what is with all the adhesive:confused:

C

Chris101

He said 'he had to use a lot of adhesive to build up the heigh of the base as the existing base was not high enough...'

Reply to Victorian Pathway Problem in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks