Search the forum,

Discuss Victorian floor in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
VICTORIAN FLOOR Hi everybody this is my first post
would welcome some advice and comments on the following
Im not a full time tiler but it comes into what I do and Im quite proficent but have never layed a victorian floor
Im fine with setting out and boarders and corners
OK its a 25 sq mtr conservatory being layed on a Alpha-hemihydrate substrart containing wet underfloor heating The screed guys were adament that it didnt need grinding off this is contarary to everything else Ive heard ??the screed has dried been brought up to temprature over a week and is now on its way back down
It was going to be Orignal Style but they dont make a 100mm octagon which I need if Im going to match the existing old entrance hall, so it looks like it will be Olde English
What can you tell me about the grout lines/ spaceing on OE tiles as the octagon has beveled edges the others dont
(it will be a OE KATRINE pattern )
plan to use Mappei Primer G and Keraquick adhesive
Ill be greatful for any advice or comments
Regards Keith

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Hi Keith is the anhydrite screed low latence? maybe that is why they are telling you it doesn't need scarifying prior to tiling. Ideally a gypsum based adhesive with an epoxy primer would be the way to go, but mapei products are very good. If you are in doubt about the screed, you could PM Ajax. Alan is the man for technical advice.

As far as the grout joints are concerned, I think you will find the tiles will determine the width ( Usually around 1mm) this can vary depending on tile sizes. Hope this helps:thumbsup:

Reaction score
Just spent an hour typing a reply to Phill and Dave clicked reply and it said I have to log back in . loged back in reply vanished into cyberspace will start again later Keith

U

user123

Just spent an hour typing a reply to Phill and Dave clicked reply and it said I have to log back in . loged back in reply vanished into cyberspace will start again later Keith

Keith I hate it when that happens, I do it quite a bit:mad2::thumbsup:

Guys, yes, I know that feeling, too - but there is a fix, so listen up :) If you spend quite a long time typing a response or get interrupted during it, because of a phone call or whatever, stay on the page, don't click on 'post quick reply' or anything like that, but highlight what you have written, then press CTRL and C to copy it, only then press the 'post quick reply' button, and if you get prompted to sign in again, fine, do just that, your reply will have disappeared as you know, but then just go to 'quick reply' again and press CTRL and V to paste, and hey presto, your text from before - it was automatically saved on the computer's 'clipboard' you see, will appear again in the box, just as before. :thumbsup:

D

DHTiling

There is a set time limit for forum activity and if idle for a certain length of time then your session can time out.. also make sure you click the remember me box when you log in... as if the session times out then you get logged out as well..

D

diamondtiling

Guys, yes, I know that feeling, too - but there is a fix, so listen up :) If you spend quite a long time typing a response or get interrupted during it, because of a phone call or whatever, stay on the page, don't click on 'post quick reply' or anything like that, but highlight what you have written, then press CTRL and C to copy it, only then press the 'post quick reply' button, and if you get prompted to sign in again, fine, do just that, your reply will have disappeared as you know, but then just go to 'quick reply' again and press CTRL and V to paste, and hey presto, your text from before - it was automatically saved on the computer's 'clipboard' you see, will appear again in the box, just as before. :thumbsup:

Gisela your a gem, I have lost so many posts over time, now I know what to do......thanks.

Anyway back to the thread content now.

U

user123

There is a set time limit for forum activity and if idle for a certain length of time then your session can time out.. also make sure you click the remember me box when you log in... as if the session times out then you get logged out as well..

Yeah, I forgot to mention that bit... :)

Reaction score
High Phill/Dave this is my third attempt at posting a reply if it dosnt work Im going to give up
The screed is Alpha- Hemi Hydrate which I think is different to Anhydrite. I can detect no latence or skin on the surface so Im not going to scarify The screed is 50mm thick has been down for 6 weeks ventilated 24/7 . its in a south facing full glass conservatory and the screed gets very hot with the sun. its been through 1 slow heat cycle and Ive decided its now dry.
I found a post from Alan /Ajax which explained a hell of a lot about liquid screeds - so much to know
Im going to stick with Mappei Keraquick and Primer G but Im not sure about dilution, number of coats, build-up of primer Im going to talk to Mappei see what they say. the screed has very high suction at the moment.
Great site thanks for all your help Regards Keith

Reply to Victorian floor in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen