Search the forum,

Discuss Victorian encaustic tiles - can I use HG Golvpolish after Stain Stop? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

ma99

I have been trying to clean the Victorian encaustic tiles in my hallway. I got them a lot cleaner using KF Tile Restorer, which I followed with Stain Stop. However the Stain Stop has a matt finish and I'd like them slightly shiny if possible, and to try and bring out the colours a bit more. Could I put a coat of HG Golvpolish (or whatever it is called now) on top of them, or will the Stain Stop prevent this working properly? If so would I need to remove it before using HG? Thanks for any advice.

C

Concrete guy

Re: Victorian encaustic tiles - can I use HG Golvpolish after Stain St

It would probably be prudent to use HG Remover (or whatever that's called now) to remove any residues before trying the Golvpolish.

We used to use Golvpolish on Saltillo and Victorian Geometrics in the early 90's, then HG brought out other specific products. It used to work quite well but needed annual maintenance at a minimum and probably more often if it's the main entrance of the property.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Spud

use lithofin multiseal it will give you the same finish as golv polish and you will be staying with the same companies products

M

ma99

Thanks for the advice. So I could use Multiseal on top of Stain Stop? And is it best to put another coat of stain stop on first? (at the moment I have only done 1 coat).

S

Spud

Try another coat of stains top if it hasn't disappeared from the surface of the tile within 10-15 minutes clean off the excess sealer with a clean lint free cloth

J

jonnyc

It would probably be prudent to use HG Remover (or whatever that's called now) to remove any residues before trying the Golvpolish.

We used to use Golvpolish on Saltillo and Victorian Geometrics in the early 90's, then HG brought out other specific products. It used to work quite well but needed annual maintenance at a minimum and probably more often if it's the main entrance of the property.
Strange we were working pm same type jobs early 90s but I was using different seal products

Reply to Victorian encaustic tiles - can I use HG Golvpolish after Stain Stop? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen