Search the forum,

Discuss Using a combination of ceramic tiles, bamboo tiles & glass mosaic in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Mari

Hello, everyone! I am writing to ask for some advice about my husband's and I choice of décor for refurbishing our bathroom.

We've bought all our tiles from B&Q: we've chosen some white 20x20 cm tiles (I think they are called Glacier Bumpy) for the main wall covering, and some dark brown bamboo wall tiles and brown-copper-gold sparkly glass mosaic to add a bit of interest.

Thing is, our tiler expressed his doubt over using the bamboo and glass tiles.

The bamboo tiles come in 9 squares mounted on mesh (30x30 cm). Being made of real wood, the individual squares are of course not all completely flat, but a bit bendy here and there. This seemed to be of some concern to our tiler.

The glass mosaic tiles are mounted on mesh in 30x30cm squares as well. The problem with them seems to be the fact that they are only about 3 mm thick compared to the 6 mm thickness of the ceramic and bamboo tiles.

So my questions would be: is our choice at all realistic, and could all these different types of tiles be made to work together as we've envisaged?
And, what would be the best solutions for installing them? Are there any good and tried methods that would assuage our tiler's fears?

I'm so sorry that I can't seem to find links to illustrate the products I'm talking about - only the Glacier Bumpy tiles can be found on B&Q's website for some reason. I do hope that some good people here know what I'm talking about. If needed, I can take and post pictures of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
W

White Room

Hi and welcome...pics would be good.

You don't mention where they are being fixed.

D

Daz

Hi & welcome to TF.

The easy answer is "I don't see an issue with your choices". If your tiler is any good he will be able to make this combination work. It's too late in the evening for me to explain what methods your tiler will need to employ now, but rest assured it should be pretty straight forward. The only query that I have is with the bamboo tiles and the most suitable adhesive to use with these - again easily resolved.

Daz

C

charlie1

I dont see any problem...

There are so many factors to be considered when trying ot think of the layout to make decision on here but your tilers should be able to find a solution to the problem as previously said by Daz. In a nutshell... Once the thickest tiles are on, the remaining area will need to be built up (3mm) to take the thinner tiles, this can be done by feathering a layer cement based adhesive and then allow to dry, once its dried then the thinner tiles can be installed without any risk of messing it up! This off course will take extra time for your tiler to do and he will charge you for the extra time!

Hope this helps!

J

jwatson

DSCF1176.jpg i made one of these to help with the hight difference, to screed to a level with rapid set, so mosaic would bed flush and easy. sorry ripped this idea from dave i think.

I

Ian

I think Phil Hobson was the original designer of this tool back in the 1920' s when he was an apprentice :) it's not stealing anyhow, just using great ideas shared on a great forum.

Sent via Tapatalk for iPhone

M

Mari

Thank you so much, everyone, for your opinions and encouragement! Thank you, jwatson, for sharing the picture of the tool, that's really helpful!

I'll try and post pictures of everything, too. As I said in my post, they are all wall tiles. For the floor we got the square Metallic Copper Effect ones from B&Q which hopefully will be quite straight forward.

Many thanks again and I'll be back with pictures and updates, let's hope everything will go smoothly! :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Using a combination of ceramic tiles, bamboo tiles & glass mosaic in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen