Search the forum,

Discuss Update On College Progress in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Mark2000

I started a thread a while ago with a few pictures from work that i had been doing while at college on a tiling course. I hadnt posted any pics recently due to college not bein open, but have recently taken a few pics from the last couple of weeks. So here goes.

DSC00591.jpg

Boarder with diamond pattern insert
DSC00609.jpg

Floor was layed out dry as had demonstration on self leveling compound and how to set floors out, so everyone ran out of time.
DSC00611.jpg

Cut tile around replacate of door frame and door jam.

I am open to any advice and comments be it good or bad.

G

GazTech

Great stuff Mark, your coming on a treat, your work is well set out and it sounds as though you are really enthusiastic......Gaz

S

sWe

Looks ok to me mate. Nothing to complain about, but I do have a suggestion and a question if you don't mind.

Suggestion: The diamond pattern might look neater if you displace the pattern either half a tile vertically, or half a tile horisontally, so that the border tiles are symmetrically coloured all the round. That is a question of preference though.

Question: Is there a reason for the sliver cut furthest in on the floor? Unless there is a good reason for it, sliver cuts should be avoided, for both aesthetic and structural reasons. I consider 1/3 or less to be a sliver. Anything less than half a tile should, preferably, be taken out on both sides of a surface if possible, unless there are design/setting out reasons for not to.

Other than that: Keep at it. Keep an open mind, and keep your wits about you :thumbsup:

Cheers.

M

Mark2000

Thanks for all the comments everyone, thanks for advice sWe, and the sliver on the floor was there so that could have a full tile to practice the cut around the make up of a door frame and door jam.

Keep the comments coming :thumbsup:

V

vision tiling

nice one fella looks great, where was your college? you being an essex boy

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
It looks spot on. I'd have considered using an extra tile width in the first pic which would have meant for the picture it would have looked neater (not small bits in the diamond bit) though in a real job you'd not have the choice so I suppose it's good to try and cut some neat small bits to see how hard it can be (to avoid it on a job in the future) so good all round really I think on that one.

The door cut looks neat well done. Are you using practicing at home too? Get yourself a couple of cheap bags of standard cement based adhesive (perhaps not rapid setting stuff) and some cheap floor tiles (most tile shops have end-of-line stuff you can use, though feel free to give the manufacturers seconds shops a call to get some bargain bulk qty's) and when you dry-lay a floor at college and you run out of time you can fix some at home in the garage or on some plasterboard / wood on the floor in the garden.

You'll have the edge on your classmates.

Reply to Update On College Progress in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen