Search the forum,

Discuss Uneven Grout colour using BAL in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Mark Parmley

I've just tiled my bathroom and started grouting tonight with Bal micromax gunmetal. The grouts been down approx. 4 hours and looks to be drying very patchy colour wise. Most of it looks to be drying fairly light, while some smaller areas are a totally different shade. Granted, I appreciate it won't have dried properly yet but I'm worried that I've ballsed it up.

Admittedly, I wasn't mixing consistently by weighing and measuring. I was just mixing batches till it looked and felt the right consistency. I also suspect when sponging down, the sponge was probably too wet...

Could I have sabotaged myself by doing these things? And if so, what are the possible ways to fix?

D

Dougs Third Go

I think you've probably answered your own question, inconsistent mixes and too much water on your sponge will probably lead to shade variation. Give it a couple of days though and see how it dries.

F

Flintstone

There is no easy way to remove. Perhaps try something like Universeal grout rescue.
I have a job to grout with that exact same bal gunmetal grout next week so I’ll see how that goes.

craig89

TF
Reaction score
most of these grout/adhesive problems go something like this;
"Hey tiler, what you need for your tiling job is this new all singing all dancing product that's the best thing since sliced bread!"
Tiler finishes job using new product and has a problem with adh/grout
so calls tech rep for assistance.......Tech rep turns up and says "Sorry Tiler, but you've over washed/mixed/emulsified/scrubbed blah blah blah.....It's not our product, it's YOU."

B

Blunt Tool

The BAL tech rep that comes up to Aberdeen from the central belt is a cool guy and knows his stuff.

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Lot of problems with BAL micromax grouts.......if your not used to them.

U need to mix enough to do a whole area at 1 hit........then don’t use a soaking wet sponge.

Saying that.......a lot of the cheap Matt look tiles don’t help much either. :(

T

Time's Ran Out

I wasn’t overly impressed with the Bal gunmetal on the hexagonal job recently posted! It literally took twice as long to do then other brands.

Reply to Uneven Grout colour using BAL in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen