Search the forum,

Discuss ultracolour problem in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

stevee

well i hope it aint a problem

finished a bathroom last week,wickes matt white ceramics 50cm x 25cm

mapeker with U plus grout,white , onto plastered walls and primer g

customerr rang me today to ask if id used a waterproof grout,because after he showers the grout stays darkened from the water, and takes an hour to dry back to normal, i havent seen it yet,but noticed it a bit when drilling holes ,diamonds bits with water

any ideas, is this normal,maybe more noticable cos the tiles are white.or is it something ive done,cheers steve

Last edited by a moderator:
D

diamondtiling

Is it definately the grout? some cheap white tiles will darken when wet as well, the first time I saw it I thought it was dots on the tiles, turned out to be my wet fingers tips, just something worth checking. I have seen some grouts that have darkened when wet, they have been ready mixed bought by the customer, Its a bit like house bricks, they get wet, go darker and then dry out with the air, thats how they work.
(That was my little stab at Yin and Yang I think)

:8:

D

davy_G

I agree, the grout will get darker when wet. White wont change too much though.
Waterproof grout can still get wet, but it shouldnt let the water right through it.

G

grumpygrouter

Only waterproof grout that I know of is epoxy! Ultracolor Plus is quite water resistant with it's "drop Effect" system but it certainly isn't waterproof.:thumbsup:

T

Terry Cottar

I agree, the grout will get darker when wet. White wont change too much though.
Waterproof grout can still get wet, but it shouldnt let the water right through it.

Where do they sell this then dave?

tel

T

Terry Cottar

well i hope it aint a problem

finished a bathroom last week,wickes matt white ceramics 50cm x 25cm

mapeker with U plus grout,white , onto plastered walls and primer g

customerr rang me today to ask if id used a waterproof grout,because after he showers the grout stays darkened from the water, and takes an hour to dry back to normal, i havent seen it yet,but noticed it a bit when drilling holes ,diamonds bits with water

any ideas, is this normal,maybe more noticable cos the tiles are white.or is it something ive done,cheers steve

Steve

Just go round and seal it for them.

tel

D

diamondtiling

Only waterproof grout that I know of is epoxy! Ultracolor Plus is quite water resistant with it's "drop Effect" system but it certainly isn't waterproof.:thumbsup:

I use it and think its great gear, but what your saying grumps is that it could not be guaranteed in a power shower or wet area?
How often do we use epoxy? Very little is the answer but from what you are saying the only way to get absolutely no come backs from installations such as mentioned is to insist on epoxy grouts?
Just trying to imagine what a customer would say if I told them the grout is not waterproof, Ardex do a powered grout, the number of it escapes me but it is for swimming pool situations and 100% waterproof I should imagine.

:20:

S

stevee

terry, could do i suppose, just niggling me mate if its my fault or not ,if there is a fault at all, he said he rang a local tile shop and they told him id probably not used the right grout, they sold me the 2 KG id needed to finish, bloody helpful of em anyway seeing as they hadnt seen it,cheers

diamond ,it says use for power showers on the bag,steve

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Colour Republic

I don't think he was suggesting to use epoxy just that technically ultracolour plus is water resistant not waterproof:thumbsup:

D

diamondtiling

Steve, Its when its wet, I did a mosaic area in a wetroom, grout goes dark when wet, simply as that mate, if the tiles are ok and the grout has not broken down then what more can you do, turn it back on the tile shop, its their product and they supplied it.
Let them sort it out mate, they deserve a slap around the chops for just off loading it on you.

:prrr::prrr::prrr::prrr:

Reply to ultracolour problem in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen