Search the forum,

Discuss UFH Running cost difference with 6mm verses 10mm insulation board in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

J

JimboD

Hi all, fairly obvious post as the title suggests. I'm beating myself up as 10mm would obviously provide more insulation (laid on solid chipboard floor in bathroom) but how much difference? Would really prefer to go with 6mm due to the step down to the landing carpet.

i can't seem to find any real world data on this topic. Will running 6mm cost be hundreds of pound more a year or a few pence? I've no idea....

Also how much difference will using a cement coated board make as that further reduces the core insulation thickness. I'd prefer a cement backed board I suspect it will make it easier to fix the ufh wire to with the tape so it won't come away and float up when I apply the slc.

any input appreciated

cheers all!

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
With 6mm insulation??? you might as well put tin foil down really. Neither 6 nor 10 will give you a huge impact TBH.

J

JimboD

With 6mm insulation??? you might as well put tin foil down really. Neither 6 nor 10 will give you a huge impact TBH.

Wow, really. So why have 100s of thousands of boards like this been sold? It cant just be a marketing spin. I'm sure I've seem some warm up time data somewhere showing the time to get to 24oC went from 2 hours to 30 mins using just 10mm of insulation. But I think that was on a concrete floor.

Perhaps that is what you mean? As the floor is chipboard, with good insulation underneath between the joists and rooms below that have central heating, the increase in insulation with 6 or 10mm of board on top will be negligable compared to if it was a ground floor room with a concrete base?

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score

Bloody hell really alan .
So when doing eufh you may as well not bother putting boards down on the floor at all , just straight over the substrate ?
I thought the boards were to stop heat warming the substrate instead of the tiles ?

Last edited:

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I must admit, I never bother with insulation boards in an upstairs bathroom.

Me neither, it gets warm enough reasonably quickly upstairs. Last one I did have central heating pipes running underneath before floor was switched on, and that was heating the floor in a direct line above the pipes very quickly

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Wow, really. So why have 100s of thousands of boards like this been sold? It cant just be a marketing spin. I'm sure I've seem some warm up time data somewhere showing the time to get to 24oC went from 2 hours to 30 mins using just 10mm of insulation. But I think that was on a concrete floor.

Perhaps that is what you mean? As the floor is chipboard, with good insulation underneath between the joists and rooms below that have central heating, the increase in insulation with 6 or 10mm of board on top will be negligable compared to if it was a ground floor room with a concrete base?

Sort of. No what I meant was the difference in efficiency between 10mm and 6mm when it comes to running cost is likely to to have little impact.

Now the science bit.... Haven't got the figures available for chipboard but if you do a rough u-value calculation for a floor of 10m2 (5mx2m) with one exposed wall of 5m and a screed of 10mm having a thermal resistance of 0.0045m2K/W

you get a u-value of 0.61w/m2K with the 6mm board (assuming the insulation has an r-value of 0.023W/mK and a value of 0.58w/m2k with the 10mm board. In other words not much difference. Probably pennies per year difference rather than hundreds of pounds.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
no insulation at all you get 0.73w/m2k.... A small difference.

Of course all that said I am now at the age where I believe you can never have too much insulation....specially at this time of year

Reply to UFH Running cost difference with 6mm verses 10mm insulation board in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen