Search the forum,

Discuss UFH & insulation boards in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Just a quick question, what are your thoughts on the pro's and cons of insulation boards? Are they really needed or not?

eg: 10yr old concrete floor..... board or not to board?

I know what the literature says, just curious on the pro's thoughts :lol:

D

DHTiling

Sean...

Insulation boards are there so that you do not have to heat the whole slab....

If you have to heat the slab first then the heat transference will take ages and the running costs will be awsome..

By using insulation boards the heat goes no further than them( depending on thickness used) and then the transference of heat is a lot lot quicker and the running costs are cut dramatically as well.

The thicker the insulation the quicker the transfer time within reason and the cheaper running costs....

10mm minimum should be used IMO..

Reaction score
With you on all that Dave, especially the warm up times.

This question was asked by a customer today, they pointed out that the concrete screed is already on 50mm Celotex insulation and would the extra 10mm really make that much difference to running costs?

D

DHTiling

It would yes... because they would have to heat the full 50mm screed before heat transfers to the tiles and continue to heat it all the time it is on..

Reaction score
yes, but wouldn't this act like a big (huge) storage heater... ie it would also take longer to cool down after the heat was switched off?

I've fitted lots of these kits before, some with, some without boards but it's difficult to compare running costs. Obviously all the manufacturers talk about warm up times to make their products sound more efficient, the retailers talk about ..... but ultimately boost sales.

Reaction score
I get it that where any kind of void is concerned its a definite "no brainer", but can you see my point with this...... the big radiator may not be ideal, but is there actually anything wrong with it.... does it REALLY add to the running costs significantly or would it even itself out by having shorter "on" times?

As you can guess I was with this customer a fair while :lol:

D

DHTiling

Sean... it will increase running costs.. trust me.. but if your customer isn;t sure then just tile it and have great pleasure in telling them so when they ring and tell you the cost of their first bill...:lol:

Reaction score
thats what I was planning.... gut feeling tells me the costs go up a bit I was just wondering if anyone had any hard evidence :thumbsup:

They're looking at the £500 for boards as being somewhat over the top :svengo:

Reply to UFH & insulation boards in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen