Search the forum,

Discuss Type of glass for shower screen? in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Morgan Ereku

Hi, I'm putting in a wetroom shower screen.

It's going to be 220cm x 90cm

Any advice on
1. Whether the glass needs to be a special type? Can I just get hardened glass from the local merchants or should it be specially treated to help with limescale etc (or is that just a gimmick?)
2. How thick - Is 10mm right, or maybe 12mm?

Planning to use transparent blocks to hold the glass. These were a recommendation from someone.
Transparent Plastic setting and Distance Blocks - https://www.wholesaleglasscompany.co.uk/acatalog/Transparent-Plastic-setting-and-Distance-Blocks.html

Cheers!

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
The glass should be toughend and most off the shelf screens are 8mm, but if I supply bespoke sizes I tend to go for 10mm especially when not using a support arm.

The coating actually works and helps to keep the glass from attracting soap and lime scale, although I suggest customers to use a squeegee after each use.

W

Waluigi

Yes toughened safety glass with an anti calcium coating is what I’ll spec. Again 10mm is preferred. My local glaziers can do any size glass for me.

Not all glass is the same though. The opacity varies and even the rigidity of glass of equal thickness’ can vary. Also when you look at the edge of the glass, the 10mm bit, this can be almost clear.

Reply to Type of glass for shower screen? in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen