Search the forum,

Discuss To tank or not to tank STS board in the Tanking and Wetrooms area at TilersForums.com.

burg93

-
Reaction score
Hi all, probably a pretty common question but I'm going around in circles looking online for a proper answer. I'm going to be fitting some tile backer boards to a 2 wall shower enclosure soon and decided on the STS boards as they seem cheap and decent enough.

The STS technical guide just says to use their adhesive on the joists before using their washer kit to secure the boards which is fairly standard, it then goes on to say use the adhesive between boards which will waterproof seal them and eliminate the need to tape the joints. It then says you're ready to tile straight onto the boards as-is.

STS also have a video on youtube stating that if the boards are used in a shower you must tank them too... Now I don't mind doing it, the mapai kit is only fifty quid but wanted to make sure this isn't taking it over the top... In their guide do they mean you can tile straight on without tanking if you're using it on a non shower wall?

Just looking for some advice from someone who does this day in day out! Thanks.

Reaction score
Excellent advice from the lads, for £50 just do it - there is no “over the top” when it comes to preparation!!
Sounds like you’re making a good job of it, well done.

Reply to To tank or not to tank STS board in the Tanking and Wetrooms area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen