Search the forum,

Discuss Tips for setting out in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Hi all, not posted for a while

I’ve been going over threads for setting out getting ideas.

but i want to know, what tips you guys have on setting out and any tools you use?

i personally use a tile tracker and find its a massive help for starting off.

i know some tilers start from the bath and some from the floor.

what is your preference?

O

Old Mod

I’ll make a decision on the height of my floor cut, and then set either a datum or laser at that height and tile to it first.

D

Dumbo

You cant go of the floor or of the bath and that's it ,you have to look at how your setting out point affects cuts so if you are doing walls you have to take into consideration the floor, bath, window sill, shower tray , window head , top of the door , ceiling and any fitted furniture you may have , niches and today I also have a recessed seat in the shower .

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
This is the part of the job you can't rush. I use a laser level, a pen/pencil a length of batten with the height of the tile plus the spacer marked on it. Just to add to jcrtilings' list above......the ceiling and the floor can run out by many mm's so beware! The niche can be made slightly smaller by use of backerboard. The same goes for window sills. Baths and shower trays these days have bows in them so just be careful if you think a full tile is the way to go!

JMC tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
If you have to compromise a setting out line as it doesn't work out nice on every obstacle, where do you guys do that? For me i'd say the top of the door into the bathroom is the least critical point in general.

Reaction score
I always initially mark out from centres and see what that looks like. After marking the walls and floor and taking into account the bath, shower, window sills etc. Like Acaciaguy says, it can take an hour just getting it right.
Man, if a customer walked into a bathroom or kitchen that i was marking out they would wonder what all the scribbling on their walls and floor were, and coupled with the pencil sharpenings on the floor they would probably wonder wtf!! lol

Reply to Tips for setting out in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen