Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling under existing skirting and dbl glaze profile in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Stevev

TF
Reaction score
Anyone have any tips for tiling under existing skirting and plastic profiles. I'm taking the existing floor up so will have about 1.5 inch below these to tile but want to keep cuts under skirting etc

received_10156186084519192.jpeg IMG_20180327_120828.jpg

J

Julian 'Farmer' Bonsall

[DIY'er] - looking at those UPVC trims can you not just remove them? I have used a multitool for skirting but working out what level to cut was a challenge (we let a house out and it was some remedial work) as Simon says (no pun intended) it may not be parallel to the top of your tiles. I use Saxton blades - and for this a
65mm Coarse Blade - Quick Fit
SKU: QF65CB
Quality Wood Blades for Dewalt, Stanley & Worx Multitools | Saxton Blades - https://www.saxtonblades.co.uk/dewalt-stanley-worx-quick-fit-blades/wood-blades

K

Kieks

In this situation I’d be more inclined to take of the skirting, re skirt once tiled. As simon has said if there all over the place ( and judging by the joints in the existing floor ) they will be.

You could come across dips in skirting between joints that were originally followed. That will maybe not work with your new set out.

I know what I mean, an am trying to say. But I can’t word it right haha.

Basically it’ll save a lot of head ache to renew them :D

G

GoneGuy

I would just remove the skirting, tile and put new skirting on. Even get a bigger skirting to cover up any damage or marks left on the walls from old skirting.

Stevev

TF
Reaction score
I thought a 4m sq floor ting job would be easy-ish.... Re-skirtting wasn't part of my tiling course lol, nor dealing with dbl glazing trims!!! Lol... Skirting is level it seems, just hope I have room to get under.. Not sure how the 2m trims are fixed, or how I'd re fix lol... Great

Stevev

TF
Reaction score
In this situation I’d be more inclined to take of the skirting, re skirt once tiled. As simon has said if there all over the place ( and judging by the joints in the existing floor ) they will be.

You could come across dips in skirting between joints that were originally followed. That will maybe not work with your new set out.

I know what I mean, an am trying to say. But I can’t word it right haha.

Basically it’ll save a lot of head ache to renew them :D
And the plastic trims... All 2x 2m of it???

J

Julian 'Farmer' Bonsall

The multitool will cut the skirt (Fein have some videos to show an example of speed) if you dont want to take them off.

K

Kieks

I thought a 4m sq floor ting job would be easy-ish.... Re-skirtting wasn't part of my tiling course lol, nor dealing with dbl glazing trims!!! Lol... Skirting is level it seems, just hope I have room to get under.. Not sure how the 2m trims are fixed, or how I'd re fix lol... Great
And the plastic trims... All 2x 2m of it???

Ok now I’m confused, are you talking about the vertical with trims that are sitting above the skirting board? Or the plastic threshold to the bottom of the door?

Once you take up the existing floor, the tiles under the carpet. You’re left with 1.5 inch to the bottom of the skirting. That’s 38 mm ish are you sure with that measurement?

Or do you mean you’ll be raising up the floor already there 1.5 inch? In which case will you not be tiling up to the rad pipes?

Reply to Tiling under existing skirting and dbl glaze profile in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen