Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling Tips! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

K

kimboslash

After reading all the fantastic bits of advice dotted all over the forums, How about a thread where everyone can share any tips related to the tiling game, from new techniques and special homemade tools to things such as van layout. I love learning new ideas from you all and a thread full of quality bite-size tips would be fantastic.

No helpful idea is to small, anything to make the job easier!

K

kimboslash

I am trying to think of a few as i write this... :lol:

Simple one - When ever i am tiling a customers bathroom, W/C etc.. there is usually a point where i pass through the kitchen. I always set an alarm on my phone that reminds me to look at their kitchen wall tiling - if the grout has discoloured (as it usually does over time) i offer my services to clean and recolour. This is an easy way to get more potential work if needed and sometimes its nice to turn up on a job and only take out a bucket with a few tools and products!

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
When tiling a bathroom before you even get your tools out check the toilet ,basin and bath for any marks, scrapes, dents ect so you don't get blamed for them!!!

Been there before. ..never again.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
If the house holder is fit, make sure you take your boots off before routing in her knicker drawer, dusty prints are a givaway [emoji41]

K

kimboslash

Already covering a wide range of aspects of the job! :lol:

I have an reminder on my phone that goes off every few hours which tells me to take pics of jobs as i work through them - that way i have a start to finish album, plus proof that the job was done correctly all the way through.

H

Handyeire

Already covering a wide range of aspects of the job! :lol:

I have an reminder on my phone that goes off every few hours which tells me to take pics of jobs as i work through them - that way i have a start to finish album, plus proof that the job was done correctly all the way through.

Started a new job yesterday tiling a 5x4 m kitchen floor and forgot to take the before pic until I had all the lino pulled IP and thrown out. My mind is a siv when trying to remember to take pics.

O

On one

When tiling a bathroom before you even get your tools out check the toilet ,basin and bath for any marks, scrapes, dents ect so you don't get blamed for them!!!

Been there before. ..never again.
I'll vouch for that one. After taking off my dust sheets off the bath after grouting I thought I had put some serious chips into an cast iron bath a few years ago,and tried to touch them up with radiator paint without success. I fretted and fretted for days until I had to broach the subject to the plumber whose job it was. His reply ''oh those chips were already there before you started''!

O

On one

If the house holder is fit, make sure you take your boots off before routing in her knicker drawer, dusty prints are a givaway [emoji41]
I knew of a council plasterer who got the sack for the very same thing.He tried to deny it,but it didn't need a C.S.I. crimes investigator to work out who the dusty size 9 imprints were!

K

kimboslash

I'll vouch for that one. After taking off my dust sheets off the bath after grouting I thought I had put some serious chips into an cast iron bath a few years ago,and tried to touch them up with radiator paint without success. I fretted and fretted for days until I had to broach the subject to the plumber whose job it was. His reply ''oh those chips were already there before you started''!

I have also been in the same situation - So one of the first things i now do is search for any imperfections and then take pics of said marks on my iphone which time stamps each photo, this proves they were there before i began any work.

O

On one

Put down dust sheets or plastic on a roll whenever your working on a domestic job. The last thing you leave of a night is the first thing the customer will see, ie muck dust and debris. Roll it up in the dust sheet and away you go

Reply to Tiling Tips! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen