Currently reading:
Tiling tips 2015

Discuss Tiling tips 2015 in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
well my tip would be every tiler should add to there tool kit a peice of glass to there tool kit 600x300 x6 how many times do you turn up on site and the client has bought the adhesive you need to know how this works .i will show you why tomorrow with a few pics
Spread the adhesive they've bought and show them the coverage?

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

Spread the adhesive they've bought and show them the coverage?
no this info will mean fa to them its about giving the tiler the tools to question. and when a rep says this will do this .wipping out your piece of glass and saying prove it you will know more than them and can prove it there and then.time to regain the balance .in our favour

O

Old Mod

To safely and accurately drill a hole through a tile I just drill a hole in a piece of 6mm MDF or Hardibacker first with whatever size bit I'm about to use.
Then place that on top of the tile (with the pre drilled hole over my intended hole in the tile), then fill the cavity with water, place one foot either side of the hole and usin the board as a template drill through!
Using this method the drill bit will not wander, which means u can also drill right up to the edge of a tile and it not break out!
I also find standing over the tile enables you to have total control of the drill and keep it perpendicular to the tile.
I always use my large variable speed SDS drill for drilling tiles, it has masses of grunt, the bits don't snag and it's a comfortable height to work with, rather than a combi let's say.
Simple but effective.

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Hampshire
With so many very textured tiles avalible-Always test your grout release on a spare unlaid tile, ceramic,porc or natural, if you can't get the grout off this tile -your not going to get it of your floor area. Will give you opportunity to evaluate how to approach- to impregnate- pre grout topical ,slurry ,bag,gun or mask.
Just because you seal a tile , does not mean that it still can't contaminate the surface pores and cause you problems .

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

well my tip would be every tiler should add to there tool kit a peice of glass to there tool kit 600x300 x6 how many times do you turn up on site and the client has bought the adhesive you need to know how this works .i will show you why tomorrow with a few pics
here are a few pictures of using the glass with the same trowel but every trowel will show
different results just like adhesives
pic 1 smiley face
pic 2 adhesive a normal knock up for floor covarage about 85%
pic 3 adhesive a little cup more water covarage about 96%
pic 4 thin back butter tile same adhesive as 3 100% covarage
its a simple 5 minute test on any adhesive might save you a lot of trouble

DSC08765.JPG DSC08769.JPG DSC08773.JPG DSC08775.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
P

philrab66

Thought I'd create a thread we can all add some tiling tips to. The old ones on the forum are still handy, but we seem to have more tools and materials available these days so thought a new tips thread would be handy.

I thought I would mention this as others may not know of which I didnt. If you are doing mosaics and you have a thin piece to put in at the end instead of cutting sliver cut through the mesh on a few tiles and move around to make up for sliver.
Phil.

here are a few pictures of using the glass with the same trowel but every trowel will show
different results just like adhesives
pic 1 smiley face
pic 2 adhesive a normal knock up for floor covarage about 85%
pic 3 adhesive a little cup more water covarage about 96%
pic 4 thin back butter tile same adhesive as 3 100% covarage
its a simple 5 minute test on any adhesive might save you a lot of trouble

View attachment 74584 View attachment 74585 View attachment 74586 View attachment 74587
great Idea mate anything over300x300 I skim the back of them and your demo backs that up!!!

O

Old Mod

A way of assisting yourself to achieve full coverage of a tile in conjunction with Ray tt's adhesive tips above ⬆️⬆️ is to trowel your area from right to left or left to right (if you're South Paw!:))
Making sure all ribs run in one direction. This way after u've back buttered and laid your tile, if you move it forward & backwards or up & down it will break the ribs and spread the adhesive at the same time.
If your ribs run up & down (perpendicular to the tiling) and you move your tile in the same direction as the ribs you are unlikely to achieve full coverage.
So I spose simply put.
Which ever way you prefer to trowel your adhesive, all the ribs must run in the same direction.
Then after u've back buttered and placed your tile, u must move it in the opposite direction to the ribs so they're broken, thus aiding full coverage!
See, got there! :D

O

Old Mod

Haha don't think so!
Funnily enough the first time I saw a 'Tiger Trowel' was at Ray tt's training day, didn't know they existed! Oooops!
Looked interesting tho, I believe Mark uses them a fair bit.
It has a unique seration, a proper solid bed trowel that I'm used to has a fairly small seration but has two large nibs, one either end, to keep the trowel off the floor effectively. So as u trowel it leaves a solid bed of adhesive behind with a seration on top.

Tiger Trowel
image.jpg

Solid bed trowel
image.jpg

Obviously lots of other trowels are classed as solid bed, but if I was being literal (not like me I know) :D
that's what would come to mind first!

Reply to Tiling tips 2015 in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Suggestion
Post a New Thread for Each Tiling Job Completed. Rather than using the Show us Your Work Thread - which has more than 500,000 views, and thousands of posts to scroll through - we thought it would...
Replies
Views
Morning All! I thought it was about time to start a new Good Morning Thread. The old thread can be found HERE but is quite long so not as easy to find specific posts. So tell us what you are up...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement