Search the forum,

Discuss tiling straight onto ply shower wall or backer first in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

craigd

hi guys i need a little help, ive got to do a ply wall in a a bath room where the shower its just the one wall to meet up with the other already tiled wall , do i need to use a backer board or can i just prime it then tile it? and would it need waterproofing? any help would be great thanks.

M

Mike

Re: tiling strate on to ply shower wall or backer first

i would overboard with aquapanel then no need for waterproofing, just silicon the edges where it meets the tiles and bath/shower tray. ply is not good to tile onto. be careful of the pipes behind when screwing the aquapanel on

P

Perry

Mike i didn't think aqua panel was waterproof ? would use backer board if you can if not if the ply is sealed on the back and edges and properly fixed and the correct ply and thickness you could use a tanking membrane

C

craigd

i was told in my tile shop ardex wpc waterproofing system would do

I

Ian

If it were me and overboarding wasn't an option, use a liquid tanking system.

C

craigd

i thought the ardew wpc was a tanking system

C

craigd

ok great thanks for your help

P

Perry

Thats what it looks like to me as i said on that post little misleading imo unless i missed something all new for me wil speak to them if i remember lol

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Mike

it will not break down if it gets wet so that makes it ideal for a wetroom/shower room. you could tank it as well but that could be an overkill. personal preference i guess

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
i use the knauf ones..much prefer them to hardi

im off the same opinion as mike...i use on domestic showers with out tanking no issues

they dont break down,warp or promote mould ,if i use plasterboard then i tank

everyones different

Reply to tiling straight onto ply shower wall or backer first in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen